What to do with a pair of Fostex fe 126e's? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2016, 03:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What to do with a pair of Fostex fe 126e's?

I want to build a full range speaker with the 126e's and am looking for the best cabinet plans.
I'm leaning towards a Zigmahornet but up open and looking for other suggestions.
If you have any designs that will do a better job with the 126e's I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Greybear
Old 19th December 2016, 04:00 AM   #2
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have mine in a pair of BiBs, and within their limitations they are still my favourite speakers ever.
Under any circumstances you'll want to put them into some kind of a horn if you want to run them fullrange.
And you'll want to.
For a mid tweeter you should probably use a smaller driver unless we are talking open baffle.

I donīt know why the Hornet keeps popping up. its been disavowed by the authors long ago. Itīs not an optimal design for neither the 103 or the 126.

Last edited by Squeak; 19th December 2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 19th December 2016, 04:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

My friend built these with Fostex 126e's:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...horn-kit-pair/
He was NOT happy with the results. Not enough bass, and unpleasant mids. YMMV.
Old 19th December 2016, 04:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneck335 View Post
My friend built these with Fostex 126e's:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...horn-kit-pair/
He was NOT happy with the results. Not enough bass, and unpleasant mids. YMMV.
For a horn like that you'll really want a compression chamber. otherwise you get exactly the problems you mention.
Old 19th December 2016, 05:05 AM   #5
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

How about the Kongo? Scott Lindgren's design:

http://p10hifi.net/FH/downloads/Spaw...set-070412.pdf
Old 19th December 2016, 09:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Never heard them but probably the best you'd get from the driver. Quite big and cumbersome to cut though. You'd also want to get something really heavy to press the sides together when glueing to avoid any chances of leaks.
The two mouths will get you very smooth bass with a minimum of ribbles and room nulls.

You could press them all the way up to the wall though, with a reflector along the wall and get big sound with a small footprint.

For example a reflector with a very shallow impact angle, like in the Paragon or Ted Jordan's new speaker.
That will get you a large sweet spot and a minimum of absorbing of the highest frequencies.
Old 19th December 2016, 09:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The BK-12m is not a bass-monster because it's a small pro-audio style scoop design & there's a limit to what can be done within the laws of physics. That said, what LF it has should be reasonable & the general feedback I've had reflects that (I designed it), suggesting there is something wrong somewhere. Likewise for the mids; in practice it should be rolling off > 300Hz so if there's an issue with unwanted higher frequencies passing through, something appears to have gone pear-shaped. Above that region the enclosure is essentially non-functional in output terms, like all back load variations [should be], so it's possible the basic character of the 126, which the cabinet has little influence upon is not to taste.

Re compression chambers, for back loads the room is actually the compression chamber in 99.99999% of cases, with any internal cavity typically being a low pass filter chamber (mechanical / acoustic crossover); technically CCs are the sealed chamber on the rear of a driver in a front-loaded horn, usually with the objective of reactance-annulling. You can theoretically have a 'real' compression chamber in a back-horn, but I don't recall seeing one post ~1935 or so. Ron Clark's Austin designs are probably the closest thing around at present. The BK-12m does in fact have a low-pass chamber although it's easy to miss at first glance given the overall appearance; it's mashed into the first section of the horn, essentially pulling double-duty.
Old 19th December 2016, 10:24 AM   #8
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Never heard them but probably the best you'd get from the driver. Quite big and cumbersome to cut though.
Another one from Scott's library:

Woden Design | Valiant

Looks like far fewer pieces and much shorter in height.
Old 19th December 2016, 10:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the answer Scott. I see the slightly "too long" first wall now. Maybe some stuffing could cure it?
The compression chamber (if I may still use that term) is mainly for filtering and protection against the driver flapping in the breeze as it where. Have I gotten that right?
Old 19th December 2016, 11:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Got it.

It should help, yes. TBH, there shouldn't be too much needed; lining the top, back one side of the driver chamber & some around the upper 180 degree bend (depends on taste / system) if desired is all that should be necessary. I'm wondering if there's a potential leak somewhere. Hard to say for certain though.

Yes; it forms an acoustic low-pass. To a point it will reduce driver excursion, although that's as much about the load provided by the horn as the chamber alone.

Hide this!Advertise here!