If I wanted to substitute drivers???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which T/S parameters are primarily used when designing an enclosure? I know Qts and Vas rank up there, but how important are others?
Here's why I'm asking... If I want to build one of Planet-10's enclosures, but didn't have the same drivers as the enclosure is designed for, but I have several other drivers that are similar in size, what would I look for to make the best possible substitution?
I apologize if I'm going where a person shouldn't go; using someone's (Dave at Planet-10) design for other than its intended driver. I just have a handful of small drivers, I like full range, and I know Dave and others put a lot into designing their enclosures.
Thanks,
Mike

Enclosure alignments are generally dominated by system Q' (Qt + any series R inc. amplifier output impedance in the circuit), Fs and Vas. If you wish to run drivers in an enclosure designed for something else, then assuming you don't wish to change the alignment, then

a/ Make sure the driver's inherent response (which does not perfectly track the mathematical alignment) is similar to the design unit, and
b/ That Q' Vas and Fs are as close as possible to that of the design unit.

Enclosure alignments are generally dominated by system Q' (Qt + any series R inc. amplifier output impedance in the circuit), Fs and Vas. If you wish to run drivers in an enclosure designed for something else, then assuming you don't wish to change the alignment, then

a/ Make sure the driver's inherent response (which does not perfectly track the mathematical alignment) is similar to the design unit, and
b/ That Q' Vas and Fs are as close as possible to that of the design unit.

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly the information I was looking for.

To be more specific, I'm considering building a pair of the Frugal-Phile Micro towers, version 0.92 or BD Pipes. I'd like to try a pair of bi-poles but I don't have 4 of the drivers listed. However, I do have 4 CHP-70s. Any input on whether there would be any value in trying the CHP-70s in either of the two designs I have listed? Or any other suggestions for trying some bipoles with CHP-70s?
Thanks,
Mike

mike;- I'd built dozens of the BD Pipes "back in the day" - does only 15yrs count? :D - as well as at least 5 pairs of variations on the Planet10 Microtowers, and would heartily recommend the latter design - particularly with a 10dg forward angle to the top panel. You might find the CHP70s a bit dull in the top octave or two, but if so there's plenty of room on the front or even top for a cheap tweeter - rolled in at say, 6- 8kHz, first order?

mike;- I'd built dozens of the BD Pipes "back in the day" - does only 15yrs count? :D - as well as at least 5 pairs of variations on the Planet10 Microtowers, and would heartily recommend the latter design - particularly with a 10dg forward angle to the top panel. You might find the CHP70s a bit dull in the top octave or two, but if so there's plenty of room on the front or even top for a cheap tweeter - rolled in at say, 6- 8kHz, first order?

Thanks Chris!

jim - no that configuration wouldn't suit my situation . The BD pipes were fun, and fit well enough before the furniture was moved about
Shown here with vintage Foster Alnico "F103A", and cheapie 2" paper cone tweeter of approx same vintage (early 70s?)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• Castle MTM-005.JPG
    Castle MTM-005.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Castle MTM-006.JPG
    Castle MTM-006.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 76
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.