Looking for speaker enclosure ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Tang Band W5-1611 SAF and a pair of Mark Audio CHN-70s. I was wondering if there was any way to implement these two speakers together.

I don't have a large listening room and I usually sit about 1-2 meters from the speakers, and I listen at low to moderate volumes. Would be a bi-amped system, would use Amp Camp Amps for kids/highs and a class D for the lows.

Open to reccomendations on different drivers, enclosures, etc.

I'm very new to speakers. Appreciate any and all commentary, tips, reading materials, or reccomendations.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: misspelled speaker in the title, if a mod could edit that typo it would be greatly appreciated.

Both are full range drivers, mix and match may not work very well. Why don't you make two pairs of bookshelf speakers, compare, and use what you like.

Thats a fine idea, and I'll pursue that. I'd still eventually like to build a FAST or similar type enclosure with a helper woofer with whichever driver I prefer.

Anyone who has input with experience building a FAST with the tang bands or Mark audios feel free to chime in.

True, but the TB could certainly act as a reasonable mid-bass driver in a 2-way. The CHN has a distinctive tonal signature - that I don't personally mind, but isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The two drivers would definitely need isolated sections if mounted in the same enclosure.

As mentioned in another current thread, I found the 1611 a bit dark in the top several octaves compared to certainly Fostex or Alpairs of the same size. Most of the FAST's I've built have actually been with either the FF85WK, or Alpair7.3. Regardless of which wideband driver you elect as the mid/tweet in such a system, a major ingredient in the recipe is mid-bass/woofer with appropriate sensitivity, smooth upper end roll-off and off-axis response to simplify the crossover. Bi-amping can eliminate the sensitivity issue, but the other two factors remain.

Last edited:
True, but the TB could certainly act as a reasonable mid-bass driver in a 2-way. The CHN has a distinctive tonal signature - that I don't personally mind, but isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The two drivers would definitely need to be isolated from each other if used thus.

Isolated in what sense? I'm still a total newb with speaker building. I've been reading more and more the past few weeks but haven't gotten the basic terms down yet.

Chris means they should be internally isolated (placed in separate partitions) of an enclosure if they are used together to prevent cross-modulation (one driver affecting the behaviour of the other & visa versa). It's technically possible to run both in the same, but not generally recommended, especially for those new to speaker building as this takes us into the somewhat esoteric fringes where you need to know exactly what you're doing and why.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Tang Band W5-1611 SAF and a pair of Mark Audio CHN-70s. I was wondering if there was any way to implement these two speakers together.

I don't have a large listening room and I usually sit about 1-2 meters from the speakers, and I listen at low to moderate volumes. Would be a bi-amped system, would use Amp Camp Amps for kids/highs and a class D for the lows.

Open to reccomendations on different drivers, enclosures, etc.

I'm very new to speakers. Appreciate any and all commentary, tips, reading materials, or reccomendations.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: misspelled speaker in the title, if a mod could edit that typo it would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the carpentry skills, then the CHN70 apparently suits the Karlsonator quite well. What scale or dimensions, I don't know. I haven't dug around for them. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/280669-improving-chn-70-a-5.html#post4484195

The W5-1611SAF could go into a Tabaq MLTL.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/88787-tabaq-tl-tang-band-86.html#post3976717

J.

I'm leaning towards the Tabaq, and the dac I'll be using is the Allo Piano 2.1 with a built in LPF. Like I said before, the room ill be listening is on the smaller side.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/piano-dac-2-1.html

The LPF has an adjustable setting from 50-200hz I belive. Would crossing over the Tabaq in the 150-200hz region put less stress on the full range tang band drivers?

Any recommended (sub)woofers for someone on a tight budget? Nothing too large or heavy, and considering my listening room is on the smaller side do I really need a stereo pair of subs or will 1 do for now?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

As a general rule, high passing around [2*Fs/Qts]^0.5 is sufficient, or ~128 Hz/2nd order in this case.

This allows up to a ~13,560" SoS/128 Hz = ~106" distance 'as the Crow flies' between either speaker and the 'sub', though closer is better.

Don't keep up with driver selection, though of course using the same brand is normally a good plan to maintain a 'family' tone, but ideally want a 'sub' that has a low inductance, i.e., is ~flat for at least an octave above the XO point = ~256 Hz since octaves are a 2:1 ratio [exponential] or at least based on slope order, so for 2nd order it would be 0.707*256 Hz = ~181 Hz.

Down this low though, it generally doesn't matter whether what brand/model 'sub' is used thanks to room modes' 'colorization' and our poor LF hearing acuity.

At lower power and/or use a higher slope order, a lower XO point is an option, increasing the 'flight' distance, so best overall to just use these as a starting point to find the lowest point XO design that sounds best overall to you/whoever in your room and adjust these numbers accordingly to begin researching which subwoofer will meet your size, price, performance, requirements.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.