Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2016, 08:00 PM   #1
bensturgeon is offline bensturgeon
diyAudio Member

Default Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid

Hi all,

I am attempting to do my first build and am not very tech savvy so bear with me. My general idea is to mimic the Nola Brio speaker. It is a hybrid speaker consisting of two identical full range 3.5 " drivers. The configuration is a ported box housing on the bottom driver and an open baffle housing the top driver. I need advice and direction on all aspects. Here are my initial questions:

1. Should I wire the drivers in parallel or series configuration?
2. I don't want to blow the driver's up with my 250w/channel amp and so need direction on power handling (i assume this plays into how I choose to wire the speakers abnd how I choose the drivers)
3. Advice on drivers- I would like to use very low weight paper drivers to get a very quick and detailed sounding speaker (any recommendations would be great.. TangBand makes some very pretty looking ones)
4. Given that they will be identical full range drivers do I need a crossover? would there be advantages of filtering out bass frequencies in the upper driver ?(this is what the maker of the Nolas does.. He says he uses one simple capacitor in each speaker)?

Thanks in advance for any direction you could give me.
Old 22nd November 2016, 01:28 AM   #2
OhioTanner is offline OhioTanner  United States
diyAudio Member

anyone??
Old 22nd November 2016, 01:44 AM   #3
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Wow, Is that a pair of TC9FD in there? Does look like them.

Selling the Brio t $3,500... that's a bit of money spent shining those enclosures....
Old 22nd November 2016, 02:18 AM   #4
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Wow, Is that a pair of TC9FD in there? Does look like them.

Selling the Brio t $3,500... that's a bit of money spent shining those enclosures....
Certainly looks like the TC9FD. Now it looks like I'll have to try something like this.
I'd think rolling the top driver off around 200 Hz and letting the bottom go full range might be worth a try. It could be called a 1.5 way.
My question would be about the BR box. The TC9 has a fairly high QTS for a vented enclosure, from my understanding.

Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...spec-sheet.pdf

Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 22nd November 2016, 03:09 AM   #5
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

The designer does call it a 1.5 way.
Old 22nd November 2016, 04:24 AM   #6
Xaborus is offline Xaborus  United States
diyAudio Member

Hahahaha 3.5k for less than $100 worth of components for the stereo speakers.

The top TC9FD is run open baffle with the option of sound absorptive material behind them. This would allow the "resonance free" sound of open baffle without the rear wave radiation to the walls. 4" of Roxul Rockboard 40 will absorb everything above 125hz.

My guess is the crossover occurs where the top TC9FD rolls off due to open-baffle.

Should be incredibly simple to clone.. with the exact same drivers too. Hell you can even use the Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8414G-10 which are better versions of the TC9FD, and arguably the best small fullrange driver.

"Worlds Best Value" LMAO This is pretty epic.

In the video the reviewer speakers that each drivers moving mass is 2.4 grams. Yep, these are the TC9FD. ROFLMFAOADLLLLL

Last edited by Xaborus; 22nd November 2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 22nd November 2016, 04:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejennens View Post
My question would be about the BR box. The TC9 has a fairly high QTS for a vented enclosure, from my understanding.
Mike
They might have a small DSP board inside the vented box, using something like a Linkwitz Transform.
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here you guys go. Some vented box modeling. Time to clone the $%^& out of this thing!

TC9FD Vented Box Modeling

It's a hard choice between the two. .8 ft^3 @ 43hz goes 10hz lower at the expense of a larger dip, but room gain might help it along. .25 ft^3 @ 59hz is the safe bet.

Xmax is not exceeded below f3 as long as xmax. No need for a hi-pass.

Last edited by Xaborus; 22nd November 2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here's a price list for the DIY minded to get something similar looking and get as good if not better sound...

4x TC9FD at $12 each...
1x sub driver, about $50
a computer (most of us have one, and maybe an older one laying around nobody uses...)
JRiver, $50 for EQ, routing the 6 channels needed, convolution, room corrections, etc...
An audio interface, nice one like the Steinberg UR28M, $400.

Although, with some design skills, maybe could bring the number of channels down to 4, and use stereo subs instead!

Some time and a little cash to build 3 enclosures...

So, about $550 + $50 of wood and little things like binding posts, etc... gets you a system you can tailor to your liking, route audio, apply endless Xover, EQ, etc....
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The designer says that there is only a single capacitor used for each stereo speaker, which is used on the upper dipolar driver. No need for active components if we wish to just clone these.

So..
4x TC9FD at $12 each... $48
2x Capacitor.. (1st order crossover) cheap to expensive
Foam Board.. $13
Hot Glue Gun & Glue.. $10
Screws.. $3 max
2x (1.5" x 4" Port) (61hz @ .25 ft^3).. $3.30
Hobby knife.. $6

Total = ~$100+ for the two stereo speakers

I'll let you guys figure out the subwoofer.

Last edited by Xaborus; 22nd November 2016 at 05:59 AM.

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybridHide this!Advertise here!