Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2016, 02:19 PM   #21
Xaborus is offline Xaborus  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Beats the heck out of me. I'll have to do some studying and try to catch up with you on that concept.
I found this website. It's a bit hard to understand what the author is trying to convey, but interesting.

Cardioid bass
Old 22nd November 2016, 03:13 PM   #22
bensturgeon is offline bensturgeon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Bensturgeon - Don't know if you're aware but I would think that even though this is a small speaker, it would still need to be placed at least 3ft away from any wall to sound its best just like most other open baffles. The lxmini is supposedly an exception but I've never heard one.
Yes.. I love the OB sound.. I was aware.. Thanks though!!!
Old 23rd November 2016, 06:56 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Bensturgeon, feel free to post your questions here. There is no need to PM, we're all here to help No need to feel bad, I was once a total noob too!

Anyway to answer your questions in your original post:

1- With your amp it won't matter if you wire them in parallel or series. Your amplifier will work either way. I would personally wire them in parallel for a 4 Ohm load. As long as your amplifier is 4 ohm stable, you won't have problems. (You can tell this by looking up your amplifier, and if it gives a rated power input into a 4 ohm load, you're fine).

2- As long as you have a way to control your volume, you're fine. (More Volume ((with the same speakers)) = more power) . Also, If you use the TC9FD, as the Nola Brio Trio uses, as long as you stay under 10W you'll be fine. Worst case scenario is that you fry your speaker drivers.. which the TC9FD's are $12/piece.. so no worries.

3- I would highly recommend the TC9FD over almost any other fullrange driver. It's paper just like you asked (I also have a paper bias)! :] Xrk conducted blind tests on this website with several dozen fullrange drivers, and the TC9FD came out among the best 5 drivers, regardless of price. The TC9FD has a much better (flatter) on-axis response than the PS95, and also a much better impulse response. Don't be fooled by the price, this driver is designed and developed by one of the best speaker driver manufacturers to ever exist.

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

4- As long as you run these speakers under 5 watts/channel (aka be careful with the volume knob), there is no need for the crossover imho. Given the sensitivity of this setup at ~90dB 1 Watt/ 1 meter.. I highly doubt you'll need to exceed 5 watts/channel anyway.

The average listening level is 83dB at your listening position (seat/couch), which will probably be around 8 feet away from the speakers. Sound decreases 3dB for every doubling of distance, so with 1 watt the sound intensity at 8 feet away will be around 86dB. At the same distance with 2 watts, you'll reach around 89dB and with 4 watts 92dB. Be careful with the volume knob! Dangerous Decibels How Loud is Too Loud?

5- The foam board construction was an experiment that was pioneered by Xrk and adopted by many (including myself) for rapid prototyping. Although, there is nothing wrong with using them long-term. I just use foam board that you get at Walmart/Target/Craftstores/Superstores. It's just foam sandwiched between 2 paper surfaces. It is usually sold by the office/school supplies and is often bought by high school students for projects.

Dangerous Decibels How Loud is Too Loud?
Old 23rd November 2016, 07:39 AM   #24
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I just did makeshift holders for my pair of TC9s and placed them atop the TABAQs.

I like it! Most of the time...

For simple music, voice and guitar, or voice with piano, it's really great.

For jazz quartets, or small ensemble classical... very nice as well.

I even liked it for big choirs!

The feeling? Well, with only the TABAQs, the space is projected to you. And they do a pretty good job.

Adding the open baffle TC9s on top, I was there. Not projected space anymore, more like ... I'm there.

But, it didn't agree with my Dire Straits recordings... not at all. It sounded like they were playing in a very reverberant cave.

I had good success with most of my well recorded, High Rez files. But, with joint stereo mp3s, it was blurry, and down right annoying with some of them.

If I were to go DIY, I'd probably power them with a separate amp, that way I could control the amount of "there" I want, or need, for different kinds of music.

I liked it enough that I'll put them on top of my W8-1772 for fun as well!

PS... sorry, no REW sweeps as there were people around and couldn't get the time to do so.
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:00 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Great to hear first impressions! I gotta order some of these drivers to try this out.

I've never used one, but couldn't you just use an L-pad attenuator for the top driver? Hell, I think you could even wire in different single resistors to experiment with instead of an L-pad.
Old 23rd November 2016, 09:00 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Yes, an L-pad would work. A resistor would be more trouble, as I would need to swap the resistor depending on the music!

But, using an extra 2 channels and a stereo amp (I actually have an 8-channel interface with an 8-channel amp), I get to EQ and add hipass as I want, trying different settings separately from the mains.
Old 23rd November 2016, 09:26 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Please post your impressions on high pass! I'm very curious if there is any real benefit. I hate to ask any favors or seem pushy, but if you could experiment with simple 1st order high passing that would be great :]. I'm all about simplicity..

Being able to produce an optimum result (if hi-passing proves beneficial) with a single capacitor would be awesome!

Last edited by Xaborus; 23rd November 2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:23 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I didn't highpass the TC9 this time around. It was playing full range, and sounded fine. No problem with over excursion, as I was far from rock concert levels... Still, got to be a little careful since my amp can give 220W per channel.

The only cap I have laying around is a cheap 3.3uf... that gives me a 1st order f3 at about 6000Hz.
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:30 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Woops, I thought you were running an active crossover- my bad! Hopefully, Xrk gets in this and does a little active experimenting then.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:25 PM   #30
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaborus View Post
I found this website. It's a bit hard to understand what the author is trying to convey, but interesting.

Cardioid bass
Thanks for the link. It is hard to follow so I looked at other sources as well. Now it's my turn to "might be wrong" but I don't believe this is a cordioid system as I understand them. A monopole speaker has omni bass and an out of phase dipole is used to control the rear wave radiation usually with dsp. As the monpole becomes directional there is no need for this control. The dipole driver of the Brio cannot accomplish this since it's not producing any bass and the monopole is front firing (unlike the lxmini) so it cannot provide cordioid at the xover since it is directional at his freq. The lxmini can be placed close to walls because of the tube the full range driver is mounted in front of. According the Linkwitz it acts as a diffuser and attenuates high freq (~7.5khz?) to limit reflections off the front wall.
Feel free to chop up my analysis and bare my ignorance for the world to see!

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybridHide this!Advertise here!