Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2018, 09:04 AM   #271
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

All separate. Probably will do the middle one sealed as well. No point in going vented for that one with the woofer underneath.

The woofer will be in about 15 litres, the middle in 2 litres, and the top one OB of course.

Drivers are four Visaton B80 and two W8-1363sbf.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:59 PM   #272
JimBest is offline JimBest
diyAudio Member

Latest soundbar folks. Design based on a clone of the Nola Brio Trio satellite/sub system. Running as a 1.5 way, simple setup, 2 TC9FDs in parallel with the outer being open baffle with a 22uF cap. Sub is a Dai Chi CS80.

Amp is a TPA 3116 2.1 which drives the sub as well. It could do with a little more juice for extreme volume but it cranks up loud enough for enjoyable music listening and TV/movies. Drivers are yet to break in but it already sounds great. All up about $160 (Aussie that is, you lot in Europe and the USA get stuff way cheaper than we do).

Those TC9FDs are just remarkable little drivers at the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180206_104247_resized.jpg (225.1 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 20180203_092133_resized.jpg (520.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 20180203_092146_resized.jpg (346.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 20180203_092209_resized.jpg (396.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 6th February 2018, 04:51 AM   #273
MrBoat is offline MrBoat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBest View Post
Latest soundbar folks. Design based on a clone of the Nola Brio Trio satellite/sub system. Running as a 1.5 way, simple setup, 2 TC9FDs in parallel with the outer being open baffle with a 22uF cap. Sub is a Dai Chi CS80.

Amp is a TPA 3116 2.1 which drives the sub as well. It could do with a little more juice for extreme volume but it cranks up loud enough for enjoyable music listening and TV/movies. Drivers are yet to break in but it already sounds great. All up about $160 (Aussie that is, you lot in Europe and the USA get stuff way cheaper than we do).

Those TC9FDs are just remarkable little drivers at the money.
Nice. I've sure put some hours on mine.
Old 6th February 2018, 05:10 AM   #274
JimBest is offline JimBest
diyAudio Member

Amp and power supply mounted. Now just need to finish the box. Will bu using some black aluminium/plastic sandwich board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180206_165617_resized.jpg (437.7 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg 20180206_165641_resized.jpg (491.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 19th February 2018, 09:52 PM   #275
kma123 is offline kma123
diyAudio Member

I talk to the Brio Trio designer (Carl) quite a bit because I am a proud owner of his reference speaker line. Carl indicated to me that he rejects at least 30% of the drivers he gets for this Brio Trio application. Of course, he won't divulge his qualification standards. I'd guess this is not QA control, but rather the driver does not meet the electrical and acoustical performance requirements for the actual speaker application. Not all batches of drivers perform at the required level. Not to say you can't build a decent replica (as has already been demonstrated by many out there), but there is only one "real" thing (the original design and implementation from the mastermind himself).
Old 28th March 2018, 09:12 AM   #276
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma123 View Post
I talk to the Brio Trio designer (Carl) quite a bit because I am a proud owner of his reference speaker line. Carl indicated to me that he rejects at least 30% of the drivers he gets for this Brio Trio application. Of course, he won't divulge his qualification standards. I'd guess this is not QA control, but rather the driver does not meet the electrical and acoustical performance requirements for the actual speaker application. Not all batches of drivers perform at the required level. Not to say you can't build a decent replica (as has already been demonstrated by many out there), but there is only one "real" thing (the original design and implementation from the mastermind himself).
You would think that he would have chosen the drivers initially at least, based on their stated TS parameters. From there, I would (perhaps wrongly, albeit logically) think they need to fall decently in that range, for starters, anyway.

I must have gotten lucky with mine. They have been flawless and have been running with no EQ at all lately and very little to start with. Having been used up to 7 hrs/evening since Nov/Dec. I am having a difficult time moving onto my other speakers even when I desire more SPL because of all that these do well.

I have an audio friend (competitive nemesis of sorts), a Klipsch head, and even he concedes that these odd little speakers are undeniable contenders with regard to SQ.

ETA: I have since completed my twin RSS315 sealed subs, based on the volume of Zaph Audio's cabinets for these drivers. Talk about a sweet sounding combo.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MrBoat; 28th March 2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 28th March 2018, 11:43 AM   #277
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I updated my Nola clones with the B80, and they are very nice! A tad clearer than the TC9.
I'm sure it would add a couple of thousands to the real Nola price tag if they had chosen that driver! ha!

Those RS315 look quite nice.

Well done, MrBoat!

Last edited by perceval; 28th March 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 28th March 2018, 12:56 PM   #278
kma123 is offline kma123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoat View Post
You would think that he would have chosen the drivers initially at least, based on their stated TS parameters. From there, I would (perhaps wrongly, albeit logically) think they need to fall decently in that range, for starters, anyway.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hi, I don't know the exact details, but I do know the designer mentioned he rejects many of those drivers in his production build. So I take that to mean there is quite a bit of variation (of some parameter that is important) in production drivers.

My mention of this is not to dissuade DIY audio (the point of this thread). I just wanted to bring light to the fact that, there is a little more "know how" going on in the factory than what it may appear on the surface.

Glad to hear you're highly enjoying your pair!
Old 28th March 2018, 04:33 PM   #279
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma123 View Post
My mention of this is not to dissuade DIY audio (the point of this thread). I just wanted to bring light to the fact that, there is a little more "know how" going on in the factory than what it may appear on the surface.
I didn't take it that way, kma123. I am sure that a speaker system that costs as much as the originals do, should be more scrutinized. Especially after looking at their other models.

I appreciate you reporting what you know about the speakers and the designer.
Old 28th March 2018, 04:41 PM   #280
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
I updated my Nola clones with the B80, and they are very nice! A tad clearer than the TC9.
I'm sure it would add a couple of thousands to the real Nola price tag if they had chosen that driver! ha!

Those RS315 look quite nice.

Well done, MrBoat!
Thank you, Perceval. I'm not a huge fan of subwoofers, or much of their use these days as an overstatement it seems, but these particular Dayton offerings sound quite nice. They are for music only. That TV has not been turned on since 10/16!

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybridHide this!Advertise here!