New SB Acoustics 6.5" Satori- Possible FR Use!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you listened to the Tang Band full range w5-2143? I imagine it would make an excellent mid in a 3-way...and lower cost too.

I am in the market for a good smooth midbass with high sensitivity. The Revelator and Satori are currently at the top of the list. This one seems to have quite a bit higher sensitivity than the MW series. It may be a while though as I am still working on my hole filler 3 way.

Hello !
As i did not find any info or listening experience on the Satori MR16P-4,
i want to share here i built a pair of 19 liter br with the Satori as a FR Speaker.
Like it very much !

Powering it with a EL 509 amp 9 Watt.
Using an impedance correction network
and a mini dsp for bending (also) the room.

cheers,
Alex.

Attachments

• SatoriMR16P4.jpg
    SatoriMR16P4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 500
Last year I contacted Madisound on this Satory ''FR'' his nice custumer service prompt informed:
The MR is only a midrange unit, it is not designed to play bass
frequencies. I think you should be considering the MW16P-4 instead.
It also gets up to 15kHz, so full range for anyone over 50 years old.

An extended bass shelf box for two of the MW16P-4 would be 50 liters
with a 3" diameter vent by 6" long. This will get you 3dB down at
39Hz. 6dB down at 33Hz. You are still within x-max at 13
watts.You're at about 102dB at 10 watts.

At 78.3 liters you can use a 3" diameter vent by 4" long. You end up
with a dip, then a bump on the low end with an f3 of 33Hz. I think
you would be better off by adding some solid material to the inside of
the box to reduce the volume to 50 liters.
Kind regards,
Brian

I imagine the mids are fantastic. How is the sound signature above say 2khz? Is there a paper treble coloration or anything at all disagreeable?

For my ear it sounds very smooth. Maybee a little sensitive in the 10Khz region but tonal very relaxed. Natural feeling. Things i missed on my fostex.
I spent some time on the impedance correction network, that is also a kind of output transformer correction.
And also use mini dsp for room correction.
cheers Alex.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hello !
As i did not find any info or listening experience on the Satori MR16P-4,
i want to share here i built a pair of 19 liter br with the Satori as a FR Speaker.
Like it very much !

Powering it with a EL 509 amp 9 Watt.
Using an impedance correction network
and a mini dsp for bending (also) the room.

cheers,
Alex.

I have the MR16P-4 in a Dayton BR-1 box which is about 15 L tuned to 37 Hz normally. I stuffed the entire length of the vent tube with 2 in. diameter dense foam. I am running this almost fullrange; I have what would normally be a L-R 2nd order with a 6 dB down point at about 13 KHz. I am still experimenting with "crossovers". In reality, this is a flattening circuit. I am not using a Zobel or other impedance compensation so my calculations are based on the Z-curve published in Audio Express as Tested by Vance D. himself! I am using a super tweeter for the top octave (almost 62 years young now) and I am getting really good results. The vent stuffing still allows for decent bass but protects against over excursion at the lowest frequencies. This box is closely approximating 3rd order so I am getting some bass in the 40's (about half-way what one would expect comparing closed box vs. vented box). This driver works very well here as an almost fullrange; I am quite happy with the results so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.