What is the Name of this Diaphragm Material?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Lately I have seen speakers, that their diaphragm material has these characters:
1) It is white
2) Unlike paper diaphragm, this one feels more like plastic
3) Unlike paper diaphragm, this one feels about 3 timer thicker than the thickness of a paper diaphragm

Examples of it, can be seen here:

A speaker from Pioneer - X-CM32BT-W:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fluid Audio - FX8:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I noticed that the sound that these speakers give, is very pleasant, to my taste..

What material is it?

Thank you

There's such a huge range of possible formulations / compositions and treatments of paper types, that the term itself is far too vague to be any predictor of sonic signature.

For example Fostex uses a quite different composite paper type on their FF- WK series than on the FE models, which will certainly contribute in part to their sound.

So I should not make a general deduction just from the look of it?
OK..

Agree with chrisB and add: you don´have X-ray eyes ;) ... meaning: as described it´s a *composite* material, it may very well be a sandwich of an internal paper cone with an external, visible , polypropylene one.

Of course you´ll only see the polypropylene from the outside :D

Both matrials have their unique advantages: paper is truely time tested, strong and light while polypropylene (original commercial brand: Bextrene) is self damping and low distortion.

To read more than you ever wanted to know about plastic cone materials:
http://www.almainternational.org/ya...cs/Plastic_Speaker_Cone_History.259103948.pdf

It's highly unlikely unless the driver is hundreds of years old. Most likely the paper has completely absorbed the composite. From my own tests I've also noted coated paper cones tend to sound quite relaxed. If you haven't, you should test out Vifa TC9FD. It has a coated paper cone and sounds very nice to me.

If you haven't, you should test out Vifa TC9FD. It has a coated paper cone and sounds very nice to me.
When searching in Parts Express for "TC9FD", it found 2 speakers, but not from a mfrr named "Vifa", but from "Peerless by Tymphany"..
Reading the description on the product page, it seems that the company changed name, from Vifa to Peerless..

BTW one is 4ohm and one is 8ohm,

Is it generally correct to say that when 2 models are identical besides the impedance,
then the higher impedance will give a better and deeper sound?
(of course we will match the amplifier for the 8ohm impedance)

Last edited:
They are actually different drivers. The one I'm referring to is the Vifa TC9FD18-08. Peerless is a brand of Vifa or vice versa.
Oh..
I based my information on this:

So it's not the same?
Where can the Vifa one be bought?

It's a very popular driver in this site.
Yes,
it appears the first in the list, when listing Full Range drivers..
And I guess the default sort type ("Best Match") is done according to popularity (number of purchases of the item), so many people love it in addition to you..

Last edited:
I meant Vifa = Peerless = Tympany TC9FD-18-08
Oh, I understand.

but the two drivers on your last message were clearly different.
Oh OK..
But If you have a driver, that has 2 versions, one is 4ohm and ther other is 8ohm,
and everything else is really the same,
would it be correct to say that the 8ohm will sound better?
From your experience..

(I hope the layers don't separate from each other as the speakers age)
If that worries you then this can give you a heart attack :) :
US20040146176A1-20040729-D00000.png

straight from: Patent US20040146176 - Paper-honeycomb-paper sandwich multi-layer loudspeaker cone structure - Google Patente
Paper-honeycomb-paper sandwich multi-layer loudspeaker cone structure
US 20040146176 A1

US20040146176A1-20040729-D00003.png

This is even worse, the Sony version:
blogsonyAPM-33Wa.jpg

Technics:
Honeycomb_woofer.jpg

HoneyComb.jpg

c10a2442b4e6384e4e182fb61dc95d49.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing what ideas people come with for the diaphragm..

BTW:
From my own tests I've also noted coated paper cones tend to sound quite relaxed.
If you haven't, you should test out Vifa TC9FD. It has a coated paper cone and sounds very nice to me.
I have a problem,
there are about 10 different drivers in Parts Express that I want to try,
and since for each type I should mostlikely need a pair for trying,
it means that I should buy 20 drivers from them.

Do other people here have the same problem?
(is the solution simply to buy, even if we just try them and don't use 80% of them in the end?)

Re the two "Vifa" drivers, don't forget that the TC9 that has many fans here has two variants- one with treated paper, and the other fibreglass. As similar as the rest of their respective constituent parts (rear spider, voice coil & former, front surround), and even cone profile might be - the material itself will definitely make a difference in sonic signatures.

Sounds like you're suffering from analysis paralysis- one solution is to throw many hundreds of dollars - or your local equivalent - and scores of construction hours at the problem, and buy one pair of every make and model of drivers on the ever lengthening list of suggestions freely offered, and build the most frequently recommended enclosures for each.

Or, if you've already heard a pair or two that you quite fancy, try to get a handle on how easy they would be to emulate. Whether simple and cheap single driver systems, or 3 -4 way systems, Open Baffles -whatever- you'll still find no shortage of advice here; nor likely universal consensus.

Re the two "Vifa" drivers, don't forget that the TC9 that has many fans here has two variants- one with treated paper, and the other fibreglass. As similar as the rest of their respective constituent parts (rear spider, voice coil & former, front surround), and even cone profile might be - the material itself will definitely make a difference in sonic signatures.
I don't have a huge experience, but from the experience I have, I know that the sound that I prefer is paper over fiber glass.
So If I buy it I will buy the paper version.

Sounds like you're suffering from analysis paralysis-
Amazing diagnosis. You are good.
And it's not just in speaker drivers, unfortunately.

one solution is to throw many hundreds of dollars - or your local equivalent - and scores of construction hours at the problem, and buy one pair of every make and model of drivers on the ever lengthening list of suggestions freely offered, and build the most frequently recommended enclosures for each.
Well, I thought more about a simpler and easier version.
(to try them all, without a unique enclosure for each one. It's much faster, yet still requires spending the same amount of $ for the drivers)

Or, if you've already heard a pair or two that you quite fancy, try to get a handle on how easy they would be to emulate. Whether simple and cheap single driver systems, or 3 -4 way systems, Open Baffles -whatever- you'll still find no shortage of advice here; nor likely universal consensus.
I didn't understand this part:
"try to get a handle on how easy they would be to emulate."

What do you mean to emulate?
To make 1 kind of speaker sound like another kind of speaker?
(why not buy the other kind from the start?)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.