Does the "NXT" / "New Transducers Limited" Company Still Exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Sometimes, I see speakers with an "NXT" logo appearing on them.

These speakers are flat an thin, and made of a different technology than the standard ones.

I tried to find this via Google, to maybe find a website of the company that create them,
and from my search, it seems that the company name behind the NXT logo, is "New Transducers Limited" - a UK based company.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The problem is, that I cannot find a website for them, or a phone number, or anything...

Does anyone know if this company still exist?

If yes, anyone knows their website/phone number, or any way to contact?

Thank you

I had some Mission Fs-1 NXT technology speakers for a cinema system. Surprisingly good they were too. Now sold as I have given up on multi-channel and stuck with stereo.

NXT were for a time a stock market darling, with ambitions to turn all sorts of surfaces into speakers. Cars were an an obvious target. I think they dies before they could think about activating the whole back of a smartphone as a speaker.

I do not know what really underpinned their demise. Did they run out of investors before the gravy came in? Was the cost of maintaining the IP crippling the cost of the final product? - car companies will only pay peanuts for everything.

Thank you billshurv.

In the page you gave a link to, the first sentence is
"NXT became HiWave Technologies"

The name HiWave was familiar to me, from the Parts-Express webstore that perceval gave me (in another thread).
I went there again, and there was 1 (quite small) HiWave speaker type there:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

https://www.parts-express.com/hiwave-bmr12-compact-2-full-range-square-speaker-12w-8-ohm--299-208

With nice reviews even..

I wanted to order 2 of them, but the shipping cost from the US to my country, is $51 :xeye:

"NXT became HiWave Technologies, and this company subsequently went out of business"
That's so sad..

Last edited:
I had some Mission Fs-1 NXT technology speakers for a cinema system. Surprisingly good they were too. Now sold as I have given up on multi-channel and stuck with stereo.
If you switched to stereo, couldn't you simply take 2 of the 5/6/whatever you had, and use them?

NXT were for a time a stock market darling
I do not know what really underpinned their demise.
It's really sad that a company with good products suddenly stops working :/

My main speakers are restored Gales 401A's. Not going to compare are they? Even my wife likes the appearance of the Gales over the small FS-1 units. In the new listening room the sub would look a bit odd too.
I understand..

Tectonic Elements?
I didn't know what you are relating to, so I looked up in google for "Tectonic Elements"
and before even going to the website, look what I saw:

So I went in, to the BMR part
BMR Speakers | Tectonic Elements

And look what is the first item there:

R8765281-01.jpg

It looks exactly like what is sold in Parts-Express, under "HiWave"...

The BMR is a good idea, albeit in some ways a repackaging of existing principles (since all widebanders produce a large proportion of their BW through controlled resonance or flex, rendering much of the 'what about breakup', 'is there any sign of breakup' questions regularly bounced around a trifle moot. ;) ) The +/- 20% production tolerance specified on the Tectonic site could do with some tightening though if quality is a priority, although for the market the units listed are aimed at, they'll be fine. Some higher-specified models would be quite nice to see. Tang Band's flat diaphragm units are heading in that direction.

Last edited:
The main interesting thing about them is their directivity, or in other words they supposedly don't beam HF.
I noticed however on the occasions I could listen to some, that the resolution is markedly lower, and there is actually quite a bit of falloff off axis. So much that it's not better than a good regular FR driver under four inches.

I agree with Dave but that might be because I've been reading this forum and bought drivers accordingly. ;-)
Marks drivers in particularly have excellent off axis behaviour. It might not look like it from a anechoic measurements but in a normal room they are second to none in that regard. The Fostex FE line is good too, if you are prepared to do a horn.
I've never tried the Tang Band drivers but they have a good report too.

What does it mean "off axis behaviour" when talking about speakers?

It means how the sound frequencies change when you are off the axis going through the centre of the driver.
Most drivers will have high frequency falloff (which is not necessarily a bad thing), and dips and maybe peaks in the upper half of the spectrum.

For example, as seen in graph for the HiVi M6N posted on the other thread, the precipitous drop (looks like 30dB?) starting at 3kHz then peaking back up at 8k.

Of course, the M6N is not intended as a full range driver, and it's very unlikely this would not be clearly audible if this driver used past 2kHz.

Here's an example of a couple of drivers by Mark Audio that Squeak mentioned above.

CHR-70-gen3-freq.jpg

CHR70 $35 ea USD

or:
Alpair-7-Gen3-freq.jpg

Alpair7.3 = $85 USD

While these two graphs don't look radically different - being essentially the same sized emitting surface and material type, there will perforce be more similarities than not - in a real world system, there are differences in detail that aren't immediately apparent, to which folks who've heard both would attest.

What is the 0, 15, 30 there mean?

And BTW,
I have 2 speakers at home that I took apart from a synthesizer that I had.
They are Full Range speakers (because they were the ony ones inside, no other tyype/size was in it),
and I am curious to test them and generate a FR graph like this..

I assume that 2 things are needed for that:
1) A software to generate the sound (for example from 10Hz to 20KHz), to go to the Speaker
2) A special microphone that can "hear" that whole frequency range (10Hz to 20KHz) equally well.

The software part should not be a problem to get (or to write.. just a FOR loop..).
But regarding the microphone, Is such microphone for testing extremely expensive, or something that can be bought for a reasonable price?

Last edited:
0= on axis, i.e. exactly in line with the center of the driver, and perpendicular to the flat baffle surface of the enclosure

the 15 and 30 are degrees off that line

There's such a wide range of quality of equipment and measurement conditions under which manufacturers, let alone DIYers can conduct such tests, that comparing them is fraught with controversy.

Decent enough mikes can be bought from folks like Parts Express, MiniDSP or Studio 6 Digital for less than $100 - there's a bit more to the software than just running a swept tone signal .

Something like:
Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 and DATS V2 Speaker Measurement Bundle

From there, you can get as spendy as you like - none would be a minor investment for a weekend dilettante.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.