Does the "NXT" / "New Transducers Limited" Company Still Exist? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2016, 10:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Does the "NXT" / "New Transducers Limited" Company Still Exist?

Hi

Sometimes, I see speakers with an "NXT" logo appearing on them.

These speakers are flat an thin, and made of a different technology than the standard ones.

I tried to find this via Google, to maybe find a website of the company that create them,
and from my search, it seems that the company name behind the NXT logo, is "New Transducers Limited" - a UK based company.

Click the image to open in full size.

The problem is, that I cannot find a website for them, or a phone number, or anything...

Does anyone know if this company still exist?

If yes, anyone knows their website/phone number, or any way to contact?

Thank you
Old 1st November 2016, 10:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

NXT PLC | NW Brown

Dead. Not sure where the BMR patents went, but NAIM gave up on BMR last year. One poster here does still use BMR speakers.
Old 1st November 2016, 11:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had some Mission Fs-1 NXT technology speakers for a cinema system. Surprisingly good they were too. Now sold as I have given up on multi-channel and stuck with stereo.

NXT were for a time a stock market darling, with ambitions to turn all sorts of surfaces into speakers. Cars were an an obvious target. I think they dies before they could think about activating the whole back of a smartphone as a speaker.

I do not know what really underpinned their demise. Did they run out of investors before the gravy came in? Was the cost of maintaining the IP crippling the cost of the final product? - car companies will only pay peanuts for everything.
Old 1st November 2016, 11:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not sure, but will do some research. Certainly seems cambridge audio are using BMR now which NXT started pushing when it was realised that their flat panels didn't take over the world.
Old 1st November 2016, 12:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Thank you billshurv.

In the page you gave a link to, the first sentence is
"NXT became HiWave Technologies"

The name HiWave was familiar to me, from the Parts-Express webstore that perceval gave me (in another thread).
I went there again, and there was 1 (quite small) HiWave speaker type there:

https://www.parts-express.com/hiwave...8-ohm--299-208

With nice reviews even..

I wanted to order 2 of them, but the shipping cost from the US to my country, is $51

"NXT became HiWave Technologies, and this company subsequently went out of business"
That's so sad..

Last edited by spaceman5; 1st November 2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 1st November 2016, 12:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
I had some Mission Fs-1 NXT technology speakers for a cinema system. Surprisingly good they were too. Now sold as I have given up on multi-channel and stuck with stereo.
If you switched to stereo, couldn't you simply take 2 of the 5/6/whatever you had, and use them?

Quote:
NXT were for a time a stock market darling
I do not know what really underpinned their demise.
It's really sad that a company with good products suddenly stops working :/
Old 1st November 2016, 01:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman5 View Post
If you switched to stereo, couldn't you simply take 2 of the 5/6/whatever you had, and use them?
My main speakers are restored Gales 401A's. Not going to compare are they? Even my wife likes the appearance of the Gales over the small FS-1 units. In the new listening room the sub would look a bit odd too.
Old 1st November 2016, 01:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tectonic Elements?
Old 1st November 2016, 05:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My main speakers are restored Gales 401A's. Not going to compare are they? Even my wife likes the appearance of the Gales over the small FS-1 units. In the new listening room the sub would look a bit odd too.
I understand..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaspin View Post
Tectonic Elements?
I didn't know what you are relating to, so I looked up in google for "Tectonic Elements"
and before even going to the website, look what I saw:

So I went in, to the BMR part
BMR Speakers | Tectonic Elements

And look what is the first item there:

It looks exactly like what is sold in Parts-Express, under "HiWave"...
Old 1st November 2016, 05:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The BMR is a good idea, albeit in some ways a repackaging of existing principles (since all widebanders produce a large proportion of their BW through controlled resonance or flex, rendering much of the 'what about breakup', 'is there any sign of breakup' questions regularly bounced around a trifle moot. ) The +/- 20% production tolerance specified on the Tectonic site could do with some tightening though if quality is a priority, although for the market the units listed are aimed at, they'll be fine. Some higher-specified models would be quite nice to see. Tang Band's flat diaphragm units are heading in that direction.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 1st November 2016 at 05:29 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!