Philips 9710 trials in worst enclosure ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The TQWT is easy to build, unfortunatly that the are to big.

Well the Onken would be interesting. I don't no why but I would like to build a monitor/bookshelf cabinet for the AD9710, I have a very simple design lying somewhere from Philips which is not build by the guy at Lenco Heaven.

R.

Have you got a link? Or is it in one of the luidsprekerbehuizing voor zelfbouw-pdf's? Thanks!

Interesting thread ...
I have 4 9710's...
I live and hate them at the same time [emoji4].
Recently the use of a 2a3 SET amp just made them show their true colours ... absolutely promising .. so now I too want to invest in a decent enclosure etc...

Was experimenting a bit ( also with cardboard btw) as I am thinking something unconventional ...

So my idea is to make something that looks like a Shindo lafite... horn in front...
but since I don't know what is going on inside the lafite ( best guess , labyrinth or something ) I am thinking with horn in front and then to let the back wave go into a TQWT or perhaps ML type ...

de48db8048810513cb4ee5eedb08d0bc.png

I did a squarish front horn type like the lafite out of cardboard and the rear is going into the normal bass reflex box and it sounds very promising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji1531][emoji1531] tx Xerxes...

I see you used TQWT for your 9710 ?

Have you tried a massloaded TQWT type design ?
I just wonder what the key differences are and which will be better suited to my tastes without having to try both ...

One has to find mechanical ways to tame the 2/3k hump with the 9710 as electronics and tweeters just mess up that special liveliness ... wish I had more knowledge in this parts to try things.

Meeting an old "friend"

[emoji1531][emoji1531] tx Xerxes...

Have you tried a massloaded TQWT type design ?
I just wonder what the key differences are and which will be better suited to my tastes without having to try both ...

Sorry Subaru for the late reaction. No I have not tried that, Do you have specific design in mind?

The reason for my late reaction is that I was meeting an old friend.. I had the design mentioned earlier laying around for two years and because of this thread I decided to build it!
The enclosure leaks a bit and I don't have the right dampening yet but as soon as I connected them I knew I had missed this old friend!

For now the TQWT sounds better but I love the looks of a monitor speaker..

R.

Attachments

• IMG_6703.jpg
    IMG_6703.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 392
combining two projects

This 9710 thing crosses another Philips project of mine. I have two AD12202M in a 104 litres BR. Unfortunately it is a bit disappointing, so I added a RT8 Philips tweeter an added pair of AD12200W with Passive radiators in an old enclosure.

This sounds way better but although I have some space available, four very large cabinets is a bit to much.

But I could not help myself so I added an AD0163 Philips tweeter and plugged in the bass cabinets.... again it is not practical but it sounds very nice...

I am thinking of building a smaller Bass units with the Philips AD8000W and Passive radiators... It keeps you busy...haha.

Attachments

• IMG_6577.jpg
    IMG_6577.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6704.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 324
Hi! I also had a pair of ad12100. The 12202 is quite different (better?). The problem I found out is that the sound differs enormously from pair to pair. My first pair was simply beautiful (in OB and BR) but died on me... The pair I have now misses the magic...

I love working with these full range speakers (without filters) in simple enclosures this makes it affordable to try different setups..

R.

I have some romanian made speakers with drivers just like these,same magnet and frame design.Being a stupid kid,I cut the cloth off the boxes and they got poked.One of the enclosures is now a subwoofer.They we're very efficient but not very analitical,also handled power quite nice, but they bottom out very easily even in sealed enclosures.Maybe I will repair the cones.,will post when I do so!

Xerxes,that 104l BR box is with 12100 or 12202.Is it the same as studio12 BR box for 12100.Did you try 12100 in that 104l cab.Thanks

I myself can't calculate speaker designs. The design was a bit of a gamble using bits and pieces of data found in the Dutch forum. So it is not the design you mentioned.

I also must be honest that I went for the looks. For some it is a large grey box but I love its shape.

No I did not tried the 12100 in the enclosure. When I owned the 12100 I had it in a semi open baffle, which was very nice!
Also I tried a MLTL for the 12100, it seemed to compliment the mids so much that you want more bass to go with it what eventually resulted in way to much sound...

R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.