TangBand W3-2141 vs Fostex FF85

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow!......just got my pair of 2141's to play with and i gotta say, they best the FF85WK in every way which i thought was the best 3" driver! I can't believe the bass response in a simple reflex box. Thank goodness for progress as small fullrangers keep getting better and better all the time!

Gonna try and whip up a quick OB FAST next over a JBL2226.

Wow!......just got my pair of 2141's to play with and i gotta say, they best the FF85WK in every way which i thought was the best 3" driver! I can't believe the bass response in a simple reflex box. Thank goodness for progress as small fullrangers keep getting better and better all the time!

Gonna try and whip up a quick OB FAST next over a JBL2226.

Thanks for the info. I also have the FF85WK, I think it makes a better tweeter than a fullrange.

......just got my pair of 2141's to play with and i gotta say, they best the FF85WK in every way which i thought was the best 3" driver! I can't believe the bass response in a simple reflex box. Thank goodness for progress as small fullrangers keep getting better and better all the time.....

The TB W3-2141 is a reasonably good performer for the price it is sold. I built the modified Tabaq speakers for these drivers a couple of months ago and am quite happy with them. The sound is balanced and laid-back. The bass goes deep, considering that these are 3" drivers, though at times I get the impression that it is a bit "exaggerated". Perhaps I need to work some more on the dampening/speaker placement.

I also built the Frugel-Horn Lites with removable baffles to try out different 3" drivers and have currently mounted the Fostex FF85WK in them. The overall SQ is very good and the bass goes reasonably deep (aided by room acoustics) when you take the higher Fs of the drivers into account. I also completed a pair of solid wood Lances a few days ago and I'm putting them through their paces. There is surprising low bass extension from these speakers that belie their small size. I rate them a close second, just behind the FHLs.

I’m presently building a second pair of Frugel-Horn Lites to permanently house the Fostex drivers and intend to use the other pair for A-B comparison tests of various 3” drivers. The TB W3-2141 is one of the drivers that I’m planning to compare with the Fostex FF85WKs.

Incidentally you did not mention which enclosures you used for the Fostex drivers….:)

Yes, would be very interesting to hear the results.

I know that musiklava79 is busy with Alpair 5.2's in his FHL's and comparing them with the FF85WK's, but I would also be interested in the performance of the TB W3-2141's.

I have not ordered my 3" drivers yet - so, there is still a chance of changing my plans.

The TB W3-2141 is a reasonably good performer for the price it is sold. I built the modified Tabaq speakers for these drivers a couple of months ago and am quite happy with them. The sound is balanced and laid-back. The bass goes deep, considering that these are 3" drivers, though at times I get the impression that it is a bit "exaggerated". Perhaps I need to work some more on the dampening/speaker placement.

I also built the Frugel-Horn Lites with removable baffles to try out different 3" drivers and have currently mounted the Fostex FF85WK in them. The overall SQ is very good and the bass goes reasonably deep (aided by room acoustics) when you take the higher Fs of the drivers into account. I also completed a pair of solid wood Lances a few days ago and I'm putting them through their paces. There is surprising low bass extension from these speakers that belie their small size. I rate them a close second, just behind the FHLs.

I’m presently building a second pair of Frugel-Horn Lites to permanently house the Fostex drivers and intend to use the other pair for A-B comparison tests of various 3” drivers. The TB W3-2141 is one of the drivers that I’m planning to compare with the Fostex FF85WKs.

Incidentally you did not mention which enclosures you used for the Fostex drivers….:)

Do you already compare the w3-2141 i am planning to get one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.