Alpair 7.3 and Dayton Audio RS225-8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to mount Alpair 7.3's in vented stand mount enclosures and possibly using a single or pair of RS225-8 woofers to extend the LF. I'm not sure on the configuration yet, but I wanted to call on the experience of others before I start thinking up a fundamentally flawed system. In my living room setup I have a HT amp, pre-outs from this feed a Behringer A-500 power amp which feeds front L/R speakers. I'm weighing up whether to use the HT sub out to power a single/pair RS225-8 in a single enclosure to work as a sub, or to invest in a dedicated active crossover like the mini dsp, a second behringer A-500 and have stereo RS225-8. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Just swap out 10F with A7.3. 24L sealed box works well with about 48Hz F3. Use a Dagger for A7 rear chamber. Possible to do a 1st order passive XO.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/273524-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor.html

Thanks for the link. What does the pyramid shaped enclosure bring to the party over a similar volume sealed rectangular enclosure?

I like the idea of having a controllable active crossover to experiment, is the mini dsp you use the minidsp 2x4?

As mentioned above, I am using a behringer a-500 power amp, are you biamping with 2 identical amps? what are they please?

In this design you have employed the well regarded scanspeak FR driver. I see in your other very interesting and informative threads on blind testing FR driver that you have used a number of Dayton drivers. When I model these, I am seeing a lot of HF roll-off that I don't see in your results or the manufacturers FR graphs. I have attached a screen shot which graphs the 10/8424, the dayton PS95-8 and the PA130-8. All these exhibit this roll off to varying degrees that I attribute to higher coil inductance. Did you compensate for this with an EQ? Or have I made a mistake in my interpretation of the graphs?

Attachments

• coil inductance.jpg
    coil inductance.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 216
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.