Wall-Mounter tapered TL for Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wall-Mounted tapered TL for Alpair 7.3

Having wall-mounted BRs for some time I'm looking for a possible improvement :)

These are meant for wall-mounting together with a TV and set should be built in mirror images. All dimensions are in mm, internal depth is 120mm, overall size is 270mm x 600mm x 150mm if using 15mm material.
attachment.php

Predicted FR, Pluvia 7 has a similar FR and can be used instead of Alpair 7.3.
attachment.php

Right now it's mostly at idea stage, not sure if/when I'll be able to build it. Still, any comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Attachments

• fr.png
    fr.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 752
  • mltl.png
    mltl.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
GM
Expanding TL should be nearly twice as long which is way out of maximum size for this project. I've also tried a straight line with many turns but it would be harder to execute.

nicotin78
attachment.php

External size is 230mm x 620mm x 130mm (18mm MDF). There are no cable terminals, cable goes straight to speakers, hole is then sealed with a bit of acrylic sealant. I've used a molly anchor for hanging it on two layers of drywall together with a number of small silicone feet on the back of the enclosure to keep it steady. Sound-wise it requires a fair amount of DSP correction, probably because of a shallow and long enclosure which is not well-suited for BRs, and because the room is quite reflective.

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 376
If I may, the box is long enough and driver location such that you've almost certainly got some degree of quarter wave "MLTL" action going on - that if not considered in the tuning calculus could be part of the reason for requiring DSP / EQ correction.

Can you elaborate on how much / where?

Last edited:
The main issue is poor stereo imaging. There's also a bigger bump at tuning frequency due to cab dimensions. DRC-FIR correction makes a really big difference and makes these speakers sound pretty good. I still think that there are some cab limitations that cannot be easily fixed so I'm exploring other cab options with a shallow footprint.

GM
Thanks, it seems to improve FR linearity, though driver placement becomes trickier, will have to play with simulation a little bit more.

jimbro
I've seen these designs, tuning seems to be similar to mine (~55Hz), though it's a bit too tall and driver placement is either too low or too high, depending how you put it on the wall.

You're welcome!

50% driver offset with the vent near/at the bottom is the best overall, so bottom venting is an option and with the driver ideally at 2/3 screen height, should be able to come up with something wide/'flat' as the driver.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.