Alpair 7 and SDX10 WAW / FAST.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a new FAST arrangement I am working on here. The full range driver is a Mark Audio Alpair 7 in a sealed 5 liter enclosure. The SDX10 is in a 48 liter rear ported enclosure tuned to approx 22 Hz. The boxes still need touching up but I have been gently breaking in and testing the Alpairs. Very impressed with the beautiful midrange on these.

I will be reconfiguring my PC to act as an active crossover during the testing. I am envisioning a crossover of approximately 225 Hz, 2nd order LP on the SDX and 1st order HP on the Alpair to work with the natural roll off of the driver in the sealed enclosure.

Updates to come as I configure and test the crossover.

IMG_20161014_235717.jpg IMG_20161014_235745.jpg

My concern would be that the subs won't play nice higher up. Whether that's a relevant concern I don't know. There is no advised upper Hz limit on the CSS page I grabbed details from.

Best of luck with the PC crossover. Will you run bafflestep filters for both HF and LF too? As you have different size enclosures for them.

My concern was also that I wanted to avoid crossing over too high to avoid the vocal range and avoid going too high for the subs to handle gracefully. I had seen Jeff Bagby use the SDX10 crossed over at 200Hz with good results so I feel comfortable closer to that range but will also experiment higher.

For the baffle step, I am still not clear if the Alpair 7 is baffle step compensated for a particular baffle width. I have run baffle step simulations for both the SDX and the Alpair. I think I am crossed over low enough that the BSC will not be required on the SDX10.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, assuming a flat baffle and zero acoustic offset between drivers, the full range or "tweeter" is delayed by half the time period of one cycle at the xo frequency. You know you did it right when the bass response of the combined signal dips a little below the bass only. There is a 1dB wiggle but that is nothing at 300Hz and what you get is time aligned absolute phase.

Got it fired up ☺️. Haven't tried the harsch yet but will tomorrow. Just have it set up through the PC on eqapo, FIR filters convolution at 225Hz, just first order on HP and 2nd order on LP. I am in a bad room and listening too close but can already sense a lot of promise.
34334bdb99a8908ae4aa12b9a92880d0.jpg
d1b6c5041043d718c89278159fa16011.jpg
53dbc939af1b21335acc352f4f579c73.jpg

I will stick with FIR for now then, but may end up using the harsch if I switch to the mini DSP.

The SDX10 seems just fine playing up in the upper bass and lower mids. I am impressed by the added richness that the SDX brings to the sound.

Last edited:
I was planning a similar build as yours but decided do go for the flat enclosure instead. If you are interested, I recommend you try to add an vibration dampening layer between the enclosures. Maybe one of those rubber slide stoppers you put under carpets, just cut to shape?

class d (class t) on xbl^2 has always added to the hallowness and thin sound (but very crisp and dynamic). i can see why the +4db adds much warmth/rich

imo class d on any of xbl speakers didnt "sound right"

koda10
tempest 15
extremis 6.5
chr70
aplair7
AA 6.5 mids
exodus 10
exodus anarachy 6.5

Last edited:
Interesting, I did drop that down to a 2dB boost at those frequencies, seemed like the best balance. I wonder how much that effect would matter here where the XBL driver is only handling the lowest part of the frequency range. I do have a Dayton APA150 I could test in there too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.