Cab suggestions for Alpair 12P. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2016, 12:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cab suggestions for Alpair 12P.

I am running a pair of Alpair 10 Mk.2 on Pencils over a 1.5W SET now. As my new appartment is bigger, I think about an upgrade to Alpair 12P for higher efficiency. As I got low-powered SET and SS in hand only, which cab. design will fit my case best? Living-room is L-shaped. Listenling area about 300 sq.ft., and around 500 sq. ft. in total. Chamber & Jazz is my favourite.
Old 11th October 2016, 01:14 PM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

deklller,

2 options come to mind - the Super Pensil 12P (which I have listened to), and the Avebury - both designs from Dr. Scott Lindgren aka Scottmoose.
Old 11th October 2016, 01:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My suggestion would be go for higher efficiency like 95-99 dB plus. Don't know how the 10 mk II's would go in a Jordan style mini line array @ 4 per side. @the risk of getting shot down in flames. Just putting it out there. Sets I don't have much experience with but as glorious as my SE transformer coupled class A motorola sand amp 24 KG & 1.5 watts rms max sounds I sometimes wish for a little more headroom. The only way is higher efficiency or radical amp surgery.

Last edited by theaudiopath; 11th October 2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11th October 2016, 02:10 PM   #4
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that the enclosure only affects the lower frequencies.

So if a driver can give 92db/w @ 1m, which for full range drivers is usually measured in free air at high frequencies, there is no way you could increase that number (except through front loading the driver with a horn, in which case you run into other challenges that I won't address in this post)

The only way to increase the sound output in that case is to use a higher output amp or sit closer to your speakers.

In the case of the drivers you are thinking about (88db vs 92db), the 12P driven by the 1.5W SET would play as loud as 10 Mk2 driven by a 3.5W amp.

Scootmoose's Avebury design advised by Zman is a great option if you have enough room for them and enough distance from your listening position to the speakers...
Old 11th October 2016, 04:25 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

my - I've heard the A12P in only two designs so far - one in a version of standmounter by Dave D that has worked very well with a wide range of drivers, and the SuperPensil referenced above. No contest - even in a room probably close to your description, the Pensil squeezed more of the bass extension from the driver by a substantial margin.

Doncha just hate it when the laws of physics get in the way of your plans for "less is more"?

If I read the OP correctly, which low powered SS SET is in the mix?
Old 11th October 2016, 06:05 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Avebury, Pensil, SuperPensil. Our prototype Mar-Ken was not as good as we would have liked so converted them into A10p Mar-Ken which work REALLY well (loaned them out at diyFEST and can’t remember who ). I haven’t done a large Classic Golden Ratio box for the A12p (and A10p & FF165wk too) yet, but should.

If you haven’t already bought the A12, consider the A10p. It is only marginally less efficient (90 vrs 91), but goes lower, higher and is capable of resolved more small detail (better DDR). Besides a touch of efficiency you will lose a bit of dynamic potential.

It also fits into Frugel-Horn XL.

dave
Old 11th October 2016, 07:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for all replies.

Brian
Old 11th October 2016, 07:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
Keep in mind that the enclosure only affects the lower frequencies.

So if a driver can give 92db/w @ 1m, which for full range drivers is usually measured in free air at high frequencies, there is no way you could increase that number (except through front loading the driver with a horn, in which case you run into other challenges that I won't address in this post)

The only way to increase the sound output in that case is to use a higher output amp or sit closer to your speakers.

In the case of the drivers you are thinking about (88db vs 92db), the 12P driven by the 1.5W SET would play as loud as 10 Mk2 driven by a 3.5W amp.

Scootmoose's Avebury design advised by Zman is a great option if you have enough room for them and enough distance from your listening position to the speakers...

Sound pressure is not my main goal for switching. I have 2A3C and 6L6 SET besides my on-duty 1.5W 6BL7 SET. I am looking for more headroom and dynamics.
Old 11th October 2016, 09:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
my - I've heard the A12P in only two designs so far - one in a version of standmounter by Dave D that has worked very well with a wide range of drivers, and the SuperPensil referenced above. No contest - even in a room probably close to your description, the Pensil squeezed more of the bass extension from the driver by a substantial margin.

Doncha just hate it when the laws of physics get in the way of your plans for "less is more"?

If I read the OP correctly, which low powered SS SET is in the mix?
SuperPencil sounds like a good choice. There is a DIY FirstWatt designed SS amp rested somewhere.
Old 12th October 2016, 12:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Avebury, Pensil, SuperPensil. Our prototype Mar-Ken was not as good as we would have liked so converted them into A10p Mar-Ken which work REALLY well (loaned them out at diyFEST and canít remember who ). I havenít done a large Classic Golden Ratio box for the A12p (and A10p & FF165wk too) yet, but should.

If you havenít already bought the A12, consider the A10p. It is only marginally less efficient (90 vrs 91), but goes lower, higher and is capable of resolved more small detail (better DDR). Besides a touch of efficiency you will lose a bit of dynamic potential.

It also fits into Frugel-Horn XL.

dave
Dynamic potential is my main concern for upgrade. As it affect the liveliness of music. Bass comes second. Avebury may not fit into my enviroment since it will block the screen easily. Besides, is there any difference on power requirement for Pencil / SuperPencil?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fview.jpg (705.4 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by dekiller; 12th October 2016 at 01:04 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!