full range (open baffle)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello, in my search for vintage open baffle drivers, i came across saba, telefunken, coral

but now i found goodmans. It's a pitty that they aren't documented on the internet, i have searched for hours, but didn''t find anything decent.

i wanna run a speaker in full range, helped by a supertweeter and a subwoofer.

so here are my question,

goodmans axiom 10
goodmans twin axiom 10
goodmans twin axiom 8

has anybody heard of these.
thanx a lot guys

I think that Axiom is a useful name for a hi-fi speaker as the Cambridge dictionary tells us:

Definition
axiom
noun [C]
1 FORMAL a statement or principle which is generally accepted to be true, but is not necessarily so

So Fane used it as well as Goodmans, the lattr being out of production before Fane took up the name.

Then_Dude, why do you limit yourself to those three drivers?

hello nuuk,

(first made my input device, hahaah because i couldn't type the ' symbol anymore haha)

why do i limit myself ?

well i don't, ebay does it for me,

i wanna buy an crazy good loudspeaker, so i'm on the search for a very good full range, which i wanna supoprt by a sub and supertweeter.

the thing is, that the subs will be used in a project within 5 years to do the low end of an electrostatic diy speaker. But until i don't know how to bow the ESL, i'll stick to the dynamic speakers, which are much easer and cheaper to get. But i ran into some goodmans on the ebay,, and didn't find anything about them; So i'm aslo interested in coral and telefunken and saba. But i hear a lot good things about goodmans, also on your site, (i have red the whole story also about the glainecone amp: very interesting). so that's why i posted this, maybe anyone had specs or most of all experience with this driver

thanx a lot

Konnichiwa,

then_dude said:
why do i limit myself ?

well i don't, ebay does it for me,

Try the readily available Ciare 10" or Beyma 8" Dual Cone Drivers already discussed in thishere place. The cost is sufficiently low (and much below E-Gay for Goodmans Axiom - I guess I hyped them too hard) to just consider it "Course Money".....

Sayonara

the ciare has a nasty bump at 3 and 5khz,

and the goodmans, saba, telefunken don't cost as much as an ciare, so that isn't the problem,, ,i have thought about the ciare though, but if i can find a driver that goes flat from 100hz until 10khz then i would be better, don't you think

btw: i buy always on the germain ebay, in belgium you can't find anything decent. if i don't find my gear i will eventually buy a chiare, we 'll see,

the ciare has a nasty bump at 3 and 5khz

It would be interesting to hear Norbert's comments on how this translates in practice.

If you can wait/search a bit longer, then I would still say look at the 201/301.

BTW, I have just included a small sub in my system while I wait to get a dipole bass system and the results are stunning.

I heard a pair of rebuilt ESL's recently in a top-class system but at the risk of offending the owner ;) I would say that my OB's sound better.

the ciare has a nasty bump at 3 and 5khz,

Hey then_dude,

are you refering to the SPL graph at spectrumaudio.de or do you have access to independent measurements showing the same peaks? If so, please share your knowledge with me :)

If your statement only relies on the SPL graphs on that site, you wouldn´t buy neither the Supravox HP215RFT Signature Bicone nor the Fertin FLB20D40SMK2. Both belong to the top category of fullrange drivers available.

I believe that the experience of same knowledgible users of this forum is a better guideline sometimes than the hunt for rulerlike SPL graphs on axis :xeye:

Rudolf

Try the readily available Ciare 10" or Beyma 8" Dual Cone Drivers already discussed in thishere place.

Have you heard the Beyma 8AG/N? How would this driver compare to monacor sp200x or visaton bg20?

The last two I can pick up locally. Combined with a motorola piezo, it would make a very cheap 'bedroom' system. Problem with beyma is very high fres, wich would require a subwoofer even in a small room. Since I have a dsp, I could equalize for dipole rollof with visaton or monacor.

Ciare looks very extended, and has very nice parameters for open baffle. probaly the best choice?

Rudolf said:

Hey then_dude,

are you refering to the SPL graph at spectrumaudio.de or do you have access to independent measurements showing the same peaks? If so, please share your knowledge with me :)

If your statement only relies on the SPL graphs on that site, you wouldn´t buy neither the Supravox HP215RFT Signature Bicone nor the Fertin FLB20D40SMK2. Both belong to the top category of fullrange drivers available.

I believe that the experience of same knowledgible users of this forum is a better guideline sometimes than the hunt for rulerlike SPL graphs on axis :xeye:

Rudolf

hello rudolf, no i have only looked at the graph, offcourse the flatttter is better, but indeed, a lot of good drives have some bumps in there range. But if you look at a coral which is flat within 2db for 100 to 10000hz, that isn't bad either.
enfin, we"ll see, i'm on the search

at this moment i have found the saba 9" which would has the bump at 7khz,,,(somebody said this on the forum), and some goodmans, if they don't cost an arm and a leg,,, il buy them,
and let you know how it works out
bye

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.