Custom DIY 6.5" Fullrange Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ghemmi,

I recall seeing the flower pattern on the base of whizzer cones of AER drivers (googled and attached a pic I found). Having the whizzer with so many points vibrating in free space may not be the best idea (increase of unwanted resonances?)

Attachments

• 1405291046e82d0a6cd078332c.jpg
    1405291046e82d0a6cd078332c.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 515
ghemmi,

I recall seeing the flower pattern on the base of whizzer cones of AER drivers (googled and attached a pic I found). Having the whizzer with so many points vibrating in free space may not be the best idea (increase of unwanted resonances?)

This driver looks like it has a totally standard whizzer cone. The "star" in the centre is how they glued the whizzer cone in.

I don't think having so many points vibrating in free air is that big of a problem. Those spikes are where the energy, which would othereise return to the centre and back and forth - ringing, quietly dissipates.

Great points on the whizzer cone suggestions.

What I have in mind now is doing a whizzer cone with the edge folded like the picture below:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But too late to do it now, unless the new speaker basket frame sent to me by next week or so. But I believe it will only reach me around end of Dec :(

I been doing quite a bit of shopping at the local Art stores, looking for best material to dampen the whizzer cone edge, found some carpet felt. And at the same time I tried stuffing cotton wool between the main cone and the whizzer cone. Measurement did show some drop in the mid range by 3 dB, but still not enough.

Some updates on the fullrange speaker, added baffle network(just a simple inductor+resistor) and the enclosure veneered.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Time to start work on the Cutting Machine I recently purchased :D

Last edited:
ghemml,
Have you tried anything other than the whizzer cone at this point? Have you thought about a hard dome for a center cap instead of the whizzer? Something mounted like a dome tweeter to the top of the voicecoil former.

Not at the moment, the only thing now that I want to replace and rework on is the surrounds. Using pheonlic surround like the Axiom 80.

As for dome cap, I might want to try just with a phase plug and without the whizzer cone. Reason is I still have not figured out how to craft out a dome cap without the need to glue the ends like what I do for my cones

Sorry for all the missing photos and pictures in the earlier posts, got screwed by photobucket.

but here is my final closed to finished assemble of the 6.5 inch fullrange field coil

Haven't tested it out yet because I busy with a up coming Audio Video Show next week, but here are my latest work so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.