Pluvia 7 Coniston Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, nice!

keep us posted on the development of the sound, I'm anxious to hear about the new Pluvia series - my next project will be a step up from the CHR-70's I'm running now, and I'd love to see some comparison between the Pluvia's and more established contenders like the Alpair 7 and 10.

jessman,
I am about to start a pair of these myself with the same driver. I did notice a funny in the plans - a small internal inconsistency in dimensions. The attached diagram shows the given dims in the drawings - but the length of the ramp (triangle hypot) is 357.0mm if you work it out from the side lengths, not the 354.5mm stated. I dunno which is right - I'm apt to go half way between the two!
Are you enjoying the speaker?
Cheers,
cyril

Attachments

• Coniston.jpg
    Coniston.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 289
Dear All,
I finished my Coniston/Pluvia 7 build, a month or so ago. I thought that I might give a bit of feedback. I am basically very pleased with these. In my small to mid sized room, I can confirm they do as Scott promised in the plans, for my money.
Minimal cabinet damping at the moment, 1/2in wool felt on 3 sides. An exellent expansive sound stage, with good depth and certainly a perception of height much better than my Frugal horns fh3/fe126En. At 4ft out from rear wall giving generous bass, though not quite as extended down as FH3. 55hz no problem on sweep tone. 50hz reasonable output, 45hz getting pretty quiet. Cones well controlled on sweep tone. Much better balaced sound than my frugals, and more suitable/enjoyable over different types of music. Vocals excellent after 150hrs on the clock. Smooth, startlingly realistic at times. With ACA amp, more than adequate volume for me. Don't worry. Bass is more rounded/plummy than FH3, but still very tuneful.
My next focus has to be room damping to try to tame a rather evil vertical room mode at about 85hz. I didn't notice it with the fh3, but there is more bass sloshing around now.
Could say a lot more. Attended KJF audio diy speaker event yesterday. Great. Happily, I got several very nice compliments about the sound with I wish Scott (and Planet 10 I think) could hear. One chap said that he had been thinking about building a pair, and said that he was now inspired to do a Frugal BVR. Please message me if you are listening and you feel like doing so.
I have many construction pics if anyone interested.
Also we had demonstrated a digitally phase corrected Linn Exakt / Frugal Lite / MA horn. Excellent improvement in realism over the basic loudspeaker. But that's another story.

Attachments

• coniston-wPluvia.jpg
    coniston-wPluvia.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 217
  • coniston-insides.jpg
    coniston-insides.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 228
No problem. Yes, that will be in the works, I am interested to do that comparison too. I have planned on cutting into my FH3's with the router at some point to replace the fixed driver mounting with a bigger hole and external baffle as per the plans. But, it is interesting that I get a perception of musicians at greater height and more a "wall of sound" coming at me with the Conistons. My fh3 setup seems more like most loudspeakers in that the vocalist often sounds like he/she is 3ft tall or sitting down or something. Other people might think different.

Dear All,
I finished my Coniston/Pluvia 7 build, a month or so ago. I thought that I might give a bit of feedback. I am basically very pleased with these. In my small to mid sized room, I can confirm they do as Scott promised in the plans, for my money.
Minimal cabinet damping at the moment, 1/2in wool felt on 3 sides. An exellent expansive sound stage, with good depth and certainly a perception of height much better than my Frugal horns fh3/fe126En. At 4ft out from rear wall giving generous bass, though not quite as extended down as FH3. 55hz no problem on sweep tone. 50hz reasonable output, 45hz getting pretty quiet. Cones well controlled on sweep tone. Much better balaced sound than my frugals, and more suitable/enjoyable over different types of music. Vocals excellent after 150hrs on the clock. Smooth, startlingly realistic at times. With ACA amp, more than adequate volume for me. Don't worry. Bass is more rounded/plummy than FH3, but still very tuneful.
My next focus has to be room damping to try to tame a rather evil vertical room mode at about 85hz. I didn't notice it with the fh3, but there is more bass sloshing around now.
Could say a lot more. Attended KJF audio diy speaker event yesterday. Great. Happily, I got several very nice compliments about the sound with I wish Scott (and Planet 10 I think) could hear. One chap said that he had been thinking about building a pair, and said that he was now inspired to do a Frugal BVR. Please message me if you are listening and you feel like doing so.
I have many construction pics if anyone interested.
Also we had demonstrated a digitally phase corrected Linn Exakt / Frugal Lite / MA horn. Excellent improvement in realism over the basic loudspeaker. But that's another story.

Thanks for bringing them to the speaker event yesterday, I've actually never heard one of these before and was well impressed. Given that all of the smaller speakers had to be placed well out into the room and so had no boundary reinforcement I thought they all did remarkably well. Not one person in the room seemed to be bothered at all by the lack of volume and bass supplied by some of the beefier speakers we had. I might actually build a pair of these, the footprint is tiny and they look very delicate in the flesh, no where near as imposing as the photos and drawings look, they are a relatively easy build too.

Orangeart, that's OK and thank you, it was most enjoyable. I liked the large ovoidish speakers a lot. It was quite enlightening to hear those and the other large multiway. But for me, the little Frugal Lite's with Alpair 5 (?), ideally with the Linn Exakt filters on the front, or indeed the Coniston were the sort of looks and sound that I want to share my room with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.