Fostex FE166En baffle mounting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, new here and looking for some advise.

Just brought myself a pair of Fostex FE166En drivers looking to build a Bass Reflex type of enclosure for it.

I am wanting to mount the driver from the back of the baffle, is this a good or a bad idea? Its just that I've not seen it done with the Fostex driver.

Thanking you in advance

The flanges of the FE series stamped metal baskets are rather thin, have a very slightly curved profile and are recessed at the mounting screw locations, so I'd be a bit worried about torquing the flanges and possibly distorting the surround/ mis-aligning the linear motion of the coil/cone drive train.

Also note that while Fostex does publish a "recommended" BR design for it, the FE166 benefits from a BLH to compensate for its rather light bottom end performance. If crossed over to a separate woofer, you could be fine in a BR, but otherwise might find them shy in the bottom several octaves. And with rather limited X-Max ./ power handling, EQ and raw horsepower aren't the ideal solution.

Thats a very good point the metal baskets are rather thin, I guess I will be mounting them from the front of the baffle. The BR enclosure I will build is the recommended design, I shall be using birch ply.

Currently running them on a test bench. It seems to be missing the bite and slap on he very top end. May even consider running a super tweeter running 10k upwards. Any recommendations most welcome.

You'll need to give them a few hundred hours to break in before making any valid assessment as to their overall tonal and dispersion characteristics - and they should definitely be auditioned in the enclosures, and intended system / location.

These and the 126 are well known for a very present and dynamic / forward midrange - perhaps that, and its off-axis response falling above 2KHz, with a big dip around 7-8K are part of what you're currently hearing?

Judicious EQ could deal with minor FR issues, but not so much with off axis response.

If you still find a super tweeter desirable, the FT17H is probably the most economical way to go.

To date the drivers have had no more then 10hrs play time. Having heard them for the first time to after 10hrs play time they sound very different. They seem to be more dynamic with more of the top end and even the mids to low.

The idea is to allow them to run in and in the mean time start to build my enclosure by then I should have had 100 hours play time from them. It will be interesting to hear what they sound like in their intended BR enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.