Full range driver cabinet design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a box with 2 x 6.5" full range drivers. I have a mobile desktop stand and figure about 70cm width. I wanted this to be incorporated into the mobile desktop. I wanted to use it for listening to music and as a full range driver output for guitar amp simulating software.

I guess what I am after is simple speaker cabinet designs for full range drivers. Specifically, designs that use the least amount of volume. The box might get used in other applications so portability is somewhat important relative to super deep bass response. Traditionally that would mean a sealed design but I've never seen them combined with full range drivers. (Always some sort of large volume, baffled and ported design. Suggestions appreciated.

Several gross generalizations in this thread already?

Many sub woofers - for car use particularly- are designed to operate in the smallest box possible. I've built many for a couple of models of Boston Acoustics drivers that aren't much more cubic volume than the cardboard box in which they were shipped.

Dave - don't you have an A10 in small sealed box at your workbench?

What I am interested in building is basically a single unit with 2 drivers. I know it isn't ideal. I have an old leather suitcase I am going to use for my guitar pedal board. I have a class D amp and 2 different guitar preamps. I was thinking I could have an amp/pedal board in a box with stereo. I hate having to grab several items when I want to go to a friend's house for 2hrs. The alternative would be something like a yamaha THR10.

It doesn't have to be super loud since the purpose is just for quiet playing. If it sounds bad with guitar, I thought I could use it on a mobile desktop stand to improve the sound. Both applications require relatively small boxes.

Been reading a little since I posted earlier. Thinking about the Dayton ND91. My initial thought was to combine it with a TPA 3116 50x50w + 100w sub as an amp and add a sealed box 6-8" sub in the middle (sort of like some of the boom box designs on this forum). I am starting to wonder if, for simplicity, I should just go with an even cheaper class D amp and skip the sub woofer. That way the box will be smaller. I am just worried that it will sound horrible with my guitar if there is no sub.

Usually (I don't play guitar) people prefer the other type drivers (+ sensitivity) instead hi-fi. So given that take it as another priority in your choice.

There is something called FRFR (full range flat response) in stereo that guitarists use for computer based amp simulation software to get a more realistic sound when recording on a computer. They just tend to be bigger drivers. My deskop is mobile so I want to scale it down to fit on the mobile stand and to have it be more portable.

What Jerms said, go for 3"-4" drivers in a ~5L slotted box. You can use WinISD or Leonard Audio Tranmission Line to further model your box based on selected driver.

Of course, you and Jerms have tried those drivers & enclosures for this particular situation and are giving good answers from your personal experience and you're trying to achieve a higher state of consciousness of all the mankind through the use of the forum :rolleyes:

Actually, lots of guitarists are going for less efficient speakers because of volume issues. A few people have gone that way with champs instead of attenuating the amp itself.

But anyways, FRFR is used in conjunction with amp sim software on your computer. My application is going to be mostly listening to music but I might use it with amp software (if I can ever find any I like).

I am considering what Jerms and a few others suggested and will probably skip the sub. Just need to find a good 3116/3118 variant without noise issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.