Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best damping stuff for fullrange
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2016, 09:04 AM   #21
naca5 is offline naca5  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I just experienced yesterday some lamb wool with 20% dacron....kills the high of the Betsy K, and live in Pensil...
Old 26th September 2016, 09:29 AM   #22
theaudiopath is offline theaudiopath  Australia
diyAudio Member

Oh well. Se la vie. Worked for me very well with a Philips AD W12100 full range in a 120 litre double bass reflex w Fostex bullet tweeters & Silver Fute 5 1/4inch tl hybrid 14 litre w XT25 tweeters. But your negative experience with it is noted for future reference.
Old 26th September 2016, 05:38 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudiopath View Post
Oh well. Se la vie. Worked for me very well with a Philips AD W12100 full range in a 120 litre double bass reflex w Fostex bullet tweeters & Silver Fute 5 1/4inch tl hybrid 14 litre w XT25 tweeters. But your negative experience with it is noted for future reference.
Well, c'est la vie ;-)
I made some further experiment today, removing the wool from behind the driver and put a mix of wool/dacron between driver and slot....what an improvement over dacron.
Bass are now powerful...only downside the music seems to flow slower.
Old 27th September 2016, 02:48 AM   #24
theaudiopath is offline theaudiopath  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mmm interesting. The stuff Ive always used was the 50/50. I made the assumtion (my bad & always dangerous) that pure wool would be better. Perhaps it is pound for pound more effective and damps higher frequency better than the others therefore less is more effective. That makes sense. The Philips 12 in FR I used it in reqired a notch filter that was reduced in value after adding damping. The XO for the TL was just north of 2.5K very nice life like tone from that one that also features a wool damped cone material (Silver flute 5.25 in) a surprisingly good driver for very little money.
I gots to know why is it so? Works fantastic just behind the drivers in my Peerless 12 in 125 litre bass bins the rest of the fill is polyester & acoustic insulation batts.
Old 27th September 2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you don't mind wearing some gloves while handling it, acoustic fiberglass (or the type used in HVAC ducts) is extremely effective.
Old 27th September 2016, 01:33 PM   #26
bhpistorqintorpm is offline bhpistorqintorpm  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
That damping looks fine.

???

dave
hi Dave,

what i meant is , after lining the speaker walls with damping material, should I still stuff the enclosure with Recron kind of poly filler? the reason i asked is because- my HiVi Swans 1080 monitor speakers have this kind of material stuffed in each of the speaker cabinets.
Old 27th September 2016, 05:33 PM   #27
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If it is a bass reflex usually not. In the case of the Mar-Ken no additional damping besides the lining is required.

dave
Old 27th September 2016, 07:54 PM   #28
aczern is offline aczern
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naca5 View Post
Some people think that TWARON Angel hair is the best...anyone who tried?
I confirm that Angel hair is the best.

Last edited by aczern; 27th September 2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 28th September 2016, 08:17 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczern View Post
I confirm that Angel hair is the best.

Thanks, must try.

I nerver thought that damping can be so complex, I use this set-up mostly for night session, very low listening level.
I feel the need to adjust damping to level volume, meaning more volume, more damping.
For night session, less damping...I'm driving crazy or....
Old 28th September 2016, 11:02 AM   #30
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Mr Clean Magic Erasers. Same material as BASF professional sound abatement foam liners. Works very well to line area adjacent to driver back side to reduce coloration. Glue with hot melt.

Best damping stuff for fullrangeHide this!Advertise here!