DIY Speaker event Warwick UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right as promised, here is a link to some videos. Grab some pop corn and take a seat! The quality isn't great, slightly embarrassing as I used to be a Broadcast camera operator! I thought I was going to have someone to do the videos on the day while I concentrated on running the day, but it never happened, no mind, it's still all interesting stuff.

Mark's talk is quite long, I've tried to cut it down to the nitty gritty a but but wanted to leave as much in as possible so I've split it into 6 videos and here is a link to a you tube play list.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx-9mD0_6t4UuaZ7F03akQF6z5EkrWxVN

Next up is Scott, he did an introductory talk about Bass reflex enclosure design, taking an holistic view to how that fits in with a room as an acoustic whole. Scott being Scott, there is a fair amount of history as well with some tidbits of info that was very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx-9mD0_6t4VQZON0SqbNC1ygI3dVQ0kk

Lastly I said a few words to just introduce my latest flat pack kit based on Scott's new Pensil design for the Pluvia 11. There are a few piccies but no video, sorry. I also said a few word to thank GIK acoustics who were kind enough to loan me some traps, soffits and acoustic gobos to tame the room a bit. Here is a video for that, not very long so no popcorn needed :)

https://youtu.be/B5Q3mI7nAaI

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott mentions a 2001 Monilith shaped speaker. November 2011.

attachment.php

This could likely be rejigged for Pluvia Seven or Alpair 7x.

dave

Attachments

• oddessy-MLTL-visualization.png
    oddessy-MLTL-visualization.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 415
Not forgotten -first on the to-do list for the morning (just got back from the borders).

Just hoping whatever I said about Dave & Chris was complimentary or they'll be after me with a very long router. ;) I can't remember, and I hate hearing myself on video / audio so I'll keep my fingers crossed. :p

Hmm. I'm going to have to dig through my archive of designs. I seem to remember doing a monolith of about 5ft 6in tall, give or take. The time may well be ripe to revisit some of these...

Last edited:
Stefan, thanks for uploading the vids! Just watched both talks and learned a lot.

Just a quick q for @scottmoose: how would you reckon the standard bass reflex enclosures on the Markaudio site conform to your ideas of BR design? I'm talking about the "classic GR enclosures" for drivers like the CHR-70 and the Alpair 10.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No it is not.

Do note that the design on the Mark Audio website is a Golden Ratio enclosure. Classic Golden Ratio is the name i use for my golden ratio shaped box. The CGR for the CHR is here: Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio. It too is not tuned as Scott suggested. My tuning requires high restistance vents (accomplished by giving them high aspect ratios and fairly long).

dave

No it is not.
Thank you Dave, that clarifies a bit.

This confirms my suspicion that my Markaudio boxes have a room mode activated bass lift. Not a bad thing, really, considering that I could get rid of the 15" woofers I used to run to augment the CHR-70's in an open baffle.

I wonder what you guys come with for the new Pluvia 11 and how that driver compares to the Alpair 10.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.