Miniature DNley SM100F using full range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

Thinking a horn loaded full range with a horn reflex woofer could be a fun high efficient and somewhat dispersion controlled project.

A sm100f on a much smaller scale is what I am going for.

Has anyone done this yet?

I live in a small house that is sub 1000sqft and I use my speakers for tv/movies and music at a pretty even split.

But I like sensitive speakers for tube amp options since I have built a couple kits and would like to do more.

Any ideas? I was looking at the lxmini as well but I don't think I can fit floor standing speakers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
another option for some sort of dispersion control would be to use 3 full range drivers per cabinet in open baffle layout with rear absorption like LXmini.

If I could then use a horn reflex cab to get the bottom few octaves I would have a good speaker but not sure what the limits of a horn reflex cabinet has as I still don't understand them that well.

Hey all,

I know I made this thread a while ago but I am still really interested in this project.

For a while I was thinking about abandoning it and just doing something else but for the room I have in my house I think this could be a great option.

Does anyone have any idea how to model a horn reflex?

I was looking at some small fullrange drivers the other day and I think the 3" area is going to hit the sweet spot.

I think I may also repost this to the multiway speaker thread as well since there may be more interest there.

Hey all,

I know I made this thread a while ago but I am still really interested in this project.

For a while I was thinking about abandoning it and just doing something else but for the room I have in my house I think this could be a great option.

Does anyone have any idea how to model a horn reflex?

I was looking at some small fullrange drivers the other day and I think the 3" area is going to hit the sweet spot.

I think I may also repost this to the multiway speaker thread as well since there may be more interest there.

I'm pretty sure you can model a front loaded horn with a reflex rear enclosure in Hornresp. If not Akabak would do it. Whether you vent it from the front, rear or through the horn shouldn't really matter as long as you enter the vent and enclosure dimensions correctly.

I'm not familiar with that model - - here's a VOT horn model

attachment.php

i'm going to follow along.
i for one am interested in how to scale a tapped horn without affecting it's performance.
the SM100f is a two way and thus far it seems like your intent on replicating it with a single driver?

No.

My intent is to still have a two way.

3" full range from 300-500hz and up with maybe a 6.5" hifi woofer in a hornreflex enclosure.

However I would also be interested in a smaller coax to have better sensitivity and still have the hornreflex to prevent IMD from the mid woofer on the highs.

Gm, your description sounds about right. If you do a google search and look at a schematic I basically looks like a horn loaded band pass.

I think horn loading the 3" would be interesting but I also just found the faitalpro 6" coax interesting. There is also the small coax from b&c. Using a woofer to boost the low end I hope would limit IMD and improve sound quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.