Karlson K-15 cabinet with Stephens 206 AXA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2016, 10:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Karlson K-15 cabinet with Stephens 206 AXA

Last week I lucked out and found a beautiful original blonde Karlson cabinet with a Stephens 206 AXA speaker. I had a pair of Stephens long ago but sold them before I listened. I've read many of Freddi's posts and always wanted to hear a real Karlson. I'm really enjoying the sound of the Stephens in the Karlson cabinet playing jazz from WDCB FM!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bella - Karlson 004.jpg (749.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Karlson K-15 Stephens 206 - Bella 7-20-16 004.jpg (564.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 29th July 2016, 04:23 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

ULTRA-FIDELITY by Karlson ! - much better than a Klipschorn , (I own 3-K-horns) According to the late Wayne Green, (Vice president of Karlson Associates until ~1956), K15 was finalized in the summer of 1951 and made its official debut in the fall of 1952 in ads and at the big HiFi Show at the Hotel New Yorker. This was also the golden age of 3D movies, atomic age decor, things made in the USA with good quality and beauty. that is one Gorgeous Kat !
Old 29th July 2016, 08:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd watch the cat with the front grill of those, ours made a mess (scratching post) of some similar vintage Aussie speakers.
Old 29th July 2016, 09:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

for those who think a Karlson would not ever sound good - fear not. They sounded good with the most appropriate coaxial and fullrange drivers of their day and will still sound good with appropriate modern coaxial and fullrange. K15 can play drum and bass passages without strain which would never come from direct radiator or reasonably sized back loaded horn. K15 does not "go deep". GregB's Karlsonator 12 will go pretty flat to 40Hz.

K15 should have two dowel struts jammed between the front shelf and aperture and one dowel strut centered from the rear shelf to rear panel for higher spl operation to reduce panel and wing flexing which subjectively raises system "Q"

oh - for those who celebrate Christmas - perhaps one of these from the Atomic Age would fit into the Karlson's original era decor.

perhaps an appropriate clock too

K15 was used at a number of pavilion at the 1964-65 New York Worlds Fair including Disney and Ford. The speaker was EV's 15TRX

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 29th July 2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 29th July 2016, 11:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Freddi! The bass is strong and natural sounding. Bella loves to sit on the top and feel the music. No claws in front so no damage can be done. The Karlson is a beautiful looking cabinet. When I was checking out, the woman behind me asked what it was. She thought it would make a great coffee table, set on it's back! The dowels sound like a good idea and they won't compromise the originality. As a matter of fact, I have a '50's aluminum tree and a couple Golden Hour clocks. It was Christmas in July when I found the Karlson!
Old 30th July 2016, 01:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've only recently started to really looked at Karlson. They're very interesting, especially xrks' open baffle dual 8".

Freddi, do you play video games? The Fallout games (especially 3, New Vegas and 4) have a really unique retro futuristic post apocalyptic "atomic age" art style.
Old 30th July 2016, 02:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have some vertigo and visual convergence issues so don't play games but am familiar with the iconic fallout vault boy

Hide this!Advertise here!