Most ultimate 4'' Fullrange Speakers (100mm and below)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You don't get it sreten. The TC9 does not do detail… ie it has a very high
"noise" floor. Or maybe a mush floor. Everything is so overdamped a considerable amount of important information is buried.

Have you listened to the driver? If you have not you have no basis for
any comments on its quality.

dave

Hi,

Whilst I've never heard the driver I think I do get it. It is bland.

Say what you like but the CSD is really rather excellent :

Vifa-TC9FD18-08-CSD.gif

Which alludes to relatively high resolution, used properly.

rgds, sreten.

Most ultimate super good, make 4" great again? Give me a freakin' break

At any size class / price range this is a loaded question, and I'd wager my left testicle that there will never be a consensus. Well, since I'm not really using them anymore, that's not much of a bet.

That said, the "best" I've ever heard in this size range is the Mark Audio MAOP7.
Unfortunately, not many of these in circulation, and thanks to the high mortality rate for the special production processes and Mark and company's stringent QC, the cost of over $500 / pr, probably not a huge demand.

My experience differs with the Alpair 7 maop, it is a nice driver but I would not call it the absolute best. It doesn't have the killer midrange I had hope for in a fullrange and I sold it eventually.

I enjou the Visaton FRS5X. Very small, so best uaed in a FAST or in a line array. Very smooth waterfall, very smooth frequency plot. Pretty high efficiency all things considered.

I had the Monacor SPH-30X, which I enjoyed as well. But I had little filter/EQ possibilities then, so I had to work with baffle width and angling to get balanced sound. It was very dynamic, could keep up with my Lowthers at times (in the sense that they both presented music with great energy and impuls). Also FAST.

I liked the SP-50X by Monacor, very nice lowmids and bass. Not that much treble.

My other experience has been with 8" drivers. IMO, if you want to do all with a single driver (20-20,000hz and allntypes of music/HT), better go large.

enjoy TC9FD if you build one like recomended by xrk971

Build one pair prototype like seen on link

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/232778-fostex-fe83en-right-small-box.html#post3427671

I am very satisfied with the sound. Now used a few month.
You get bass realy down 55 Hz, clear voice, flat midrange,
very detailed sound, also high frequeny is not missing.
Used as tv-speakers driven by yamaha R-N301.

Changed to smsl sa-50 amplifier you get more detailed and dynamic sound.
This driver can really show diverence between both amplifiers.
Source was satellit-tv or cd-music .

The case fits perfect to this little driver.
Like most things, you get the best result in the
right environment. Case fits driver.
BSC used 6,8 ohm 1,0 mH.

I will build a second pair with nicer case.

Thanks to xrk971

Attachments

• IMG_20160730_011114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160730_011114_HDR.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.