Idea for some Omni Desktop Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about making some full-range omni-directional desktop speakers. My current design (below) is partially similar to this one in the multi-way part of the forums, but more basic. A 3-inch upward firing driver; a concrete reflector in the shape of a 45-degree angled reflector cone; and an internally cone-shaped enclosure below the driver with a felt covered interior. The concrete reflector cone needs to be about 12 inches above the speaker's base to be at ear height. I'm a novice when it comes to designing speakers, so I'd very much appreciate any criticism you guys can give, or any ideas for improvement.

Attachments

• Full Range Omni.png
    Full Range Omni.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 343
  • Full Range Omni (Cutaway).png
    Full Range Omni (Cutaway).png
    60.5 KB · Views: 335
I'm thinking about making some full-range omni-directional desktop speakers. My current design (below) is partially similar to this one in the multi-way part of the forums, but more basic. A 3-inch upward firing driver; a concrete reflector in the shape of a 45-degree angled reflector cone; and an internally cone-shaped enclosure below the driver with a felt covered interior. The concrete reflector cone needs to be about 12 inches above the speaker's base to be at ear height. I'm a novice when it comes to designing speakers, so I'd very much appreciate any criticism you guys can give, or any ideas for improvement.

IMHO the conical charge is a good idea but it should fall down without footstanders :D

I did give diffraction a little bit of consideration. I was thinking about sticking some thin black felt around the edges (and calling it the Annular Full Range Omni or AFRO :)). Rounding the edges would be better, as it still allows me to add felt. The double cone idea is interesting (I think that could be turned into an interesting full-standing speaker: tweeter firing downward into the upper cone, mid firing upwards into the lower cone, with a floor firing woofer at the bottom.)

I should have thought about the stability, was too occupied with the driver and cone. I like the cord idea, silverprout, but it would stop me moving the speakers easily. It also raises some issues with the amplifier connections. Footstanders are obviously good, I'm considering chrisb's tripod idea. I've attached the ideas below.

Attachments

• chrisb.png
    chrisb.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 259
  • silverprout.png
    silverprout.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Spagetti Container.png
    Spagetti Container.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 256
I recommand you to use this kind of support :

I've restored vintage Ellipson spheres... numerous of them are destroyed by the chidrens or pets.
Loudspeakers don't like to fall, it deform the basket and misalign the motor.
Sometimes the coil is blocked... and sometimes the magnet explode or the whole motor is disconnected of the basket and fall down when you open the baffle.

The catastrophic stand :

I could put a concrete weight at the bottom. This would lower the center-of-mass and make them more stable.

Something like below Jerms? I think it works well with silverprout's idea of suspending them. Not planning to do this, but having warheads dropped from a ceiling could be amusing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MIRV.png
    MIRV.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 307
Decided to go for a relatively plain design. Thanks for the ideas and criticism. I'm just wondering what speaker drivers to use now, and how to construct it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0.3.png
    0.3.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 0.3 (Transparent).png
    0.3 (Transparent).png
    64.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Munition.png
    Munition.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 118
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.