Moth Audio Cicada clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've heard yesterday a pair of Moth Audio Cicada cabinets. I like very much this sound and dimensions too. The problem is that the driver is no longer available.

1. Do you have any suggestion for alternative drivers?

2. Do you think I can use Fostex Fe 206 En? I've built the standard double bass reflex enclosure but I'm looking for a taller and more narrow cabinet.

Thanks for your help

Ziocalepino

FE206EN IIRC has a brighter midrange than my stamped frame Super8. If the amplifier has a relatively high output impedance then 206 might be used in a MLTL - or use baffle step compensation. BTW - I don't know if its a permanent thing, but my Super8 which have sat for a while have stiffened to the point that their free air resonance has raised a half octave, also raising Qts. Fs is now in the high 50's and qts around 0.38

maybe some of 206's brightness comes from its high-Q 2K6 peak

A38JVbE.gif

Last edited:
What kind of speakers would those be sreten?

Hi,

A good question. Long term satisfaction depends on long term usage.

Speakers you can live with for years hardly ever impress on audition.

FWIW i had a pair of Spendor Preludes, old school BBC monitor types.

They were nice, I'm not saying they were great, but they changed
character with the recording more than any other speaker I had
used before. They gave insight into the recording despite foibles.

Insight is what you want, not a response you like that colours
everything. FWIW once you have gone to monitor quality most
voiced hifi speakers simply sound like crude approximations.

Once you get there, you can generally pick out good speakers
quite easily below the level you are used to, but picking out
something better is dangerous without an extended trial.

rgds, sreten.

Going to try an AN 8" classic+ in alnico, driven with Pass' FirstWatt F7, undecided on preamp. Will use their 2.8 ft3 dbl-port cabinet design, birch ply, maybe fantzee maple veneer. If it doesn't sound good I can rest my drink on it. (But I think it'll sound OK) Appreciate the suggestions.

Do it. It'll be interesting. In the end, that's prob'ly what matters most. Which might be (related to) sreten's point. As for me, no choice. Got the F7 just cuz it's neat. Speaker choice became obvious when Nelson's post above was found. So let synchronicity decide preamp too. Prof. Pauli in the house ...?

Going to try an AN 8" classic+ in alnico, driven with Pass' FirstWatt F7, undecided on preamp. Will use their 2.8 ft3 dbl-port cabinet design, birch ply, maybe fantzee maple veneer. If it doesn't sound good I can rest my drink on it. (But I think it'll sound OK) Appreciate the suggestions.

Don't know this cab's details, but vintage driver, vintage alignment up against a wall and preferably in a corner works for me. ;)

Maximizes [mid]bass power handling, so technically under-damped [~ +6 dB referenced to 1 kHz mid band efficiency] with no useful output below Fs. HR predicts Xmax = ~98 dB/m/42 Hz/2 pi/10 W + any room/boundary gain.

Best to use measured specs, but with published: 48.1 L, 60.8 cm^2 x 10 cm long [Fs tuning] in a 1.0:1.4:2.0 ratio box. At this size, driver, vent location can be anywhere. Damping would be minimal to maximize acoustic efficiency, though of course more will 'tighten up' its tone.

Increasing this alignment to the 2.8's ~79 L yields a ~37 Hz tuning with only fractional watt power handling, so assume its dual vents tunes it higher to the point of being even more under-damped, in which case you can either add mass quantities of stuffing and/or reduce it's volume to 'taste'.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.