In Wall Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about using in-wall speakers for casual listening in the kitchen (space concerns) and was wondering if there are any full range drivers or designs that might be well suited to in-wall use.

If not are there any in-wall speakers that people would recommend (I'd prefer to keep it under $500.00 Canadian if possible).

If we can use Jeff Bagby spreadsheet as filled below think 10F/8410 as ported paired to room mode will give nice response and full range sound. Will only take 3 watt to keep 2,3mm Xmax within linear range but it looks room gain will add 6dB to those 91dB at 3 watt so SPL ends at 97dB for single driver in wall and Xdamage for 10F/8410 is up at 7,5mm. There is two examples for ported tuning that think should sum relative smooth with room mode plot but of course would be better to use dimensions from real room and see how things looks.

Attachments

• 90.PNG
    90.PNG
    176.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 91.PNG
    91.PNG
    73.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 92.PNG
    92.PNG
    73.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you want to use the semi infinite volume behind the wall go with high Qts car audio speakers. Maybe even coaxial 2 way with a tweeter. You will get deeper bass. If it's casual listening and you don't need highs above 15k, I would go for Dayton PA130-8's. Nice mids, great bass punch and 90dB sensitive. Only $18 but don't let price fool you.

If you want silly high SPL's get a pro audio coax with compression driver. A pair of these will only take about 1 watt or less so very little cone movement and low distortion.

B&C 8FCX51 8" Professional Coaxial Speaker 100 x 100 8 Ohm

If you want to use the semi infinite volume behind the wall go with high Qts car audio speakers. Maybe even coaxial 2 way with a tweeter. You will get deeper bass. If it's casual listening and you don't need highs above 15k, I would go for Dayton PA130-8's. Nice mids, great bass punch and 90dB sensitive. Only $18 but don't let price fool you.

If you want silly high SPL's get a pro audio coax with compression driver. A pair of these will only take about 1 watt or less so very little cone movement and low distortion.

B&C 8FCX51 8" Professional Coaxial Speaker 100 x 100 8 Ohm
The Daytons are $61.39 on Amazon.ca, a significant difference from their American price. I don't want to see what the B&C would be in Canadian dollars. :eek:

If we can use Jeff Bagby spreadsheet as filled below think 10F/8410 as ported paired to room mode will give nice response and full range sound. Will only take 3 watt to keep 2,3mm Xmax within linear range but it looks room gain will add 6dB to those 91dB at 3 watt so SPL ends at 97dB for single driver in wall and Xdamage for 10F/8410 is up at 7,5mm. There is two examples for ported tuning that think should sum relative smooth with room mode plot but of course would be better to use dimensions from real room and see how things looks.

I can't seem to find this speaker in Canada.

I can't seem to find this speaker in Canada.

Seems available into Montreal at 94.83$ CAD each : ) 10F/8414G10 - Solen Electronique - World leading producer of high-end crossover components.

That said many other same diameter class can do same into low frq end of things, proposal for particular model was because 10F/8410 in my eyes have nice wide relative smooth response.

More documentation 10F/8410:
SS datasheet: http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/10f-8414g10.pdf
Review and measurements: http://medleysmusings.com/10f8414g10/
Review and measurements: http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/reviews/10-8414G10-KlangTon2013-5.pdf
Review and measurements: http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/reviews/10F-8414G10-VoiceCoil_2013-12.pdf

Other suggestion could be RS100-4 or A7.3 they seems less overall smooth but have more Xmax and lower end reach, imagine if you model your exactly room dimensions and tune low frq end as extracted mirror of room gain will give fine casual listening kitchen speaker. You welcome request new modeling with in situation dimentions included and for info spreadsheet used into previous post is available here at Charlie Laub and Jeff Bagby software page software.

Last edited:
While not inclined to be quite as negative as Bare in regards to a categorical dismissal of the sound quality of in-walls, I couldn't agree with him more on the subject of location. ;)

But if sonics, imaging, etc are not a huge priority, I'd wager you could find something suitable enough a many local electrical wholesalers for probably less than $100 ea. I've put background music systems in a couple of small restaurants owned by my son during the past 3 years, and several cheapie pairs of ceiling mount 2-ways the likes of Dayton

Dayton Audio ME650C 6-1/2" Micro-Edge LCRS 15 Degree Angled Ceiling Speaker

worked just fine - cut a round hole in the suspended ceiling tiles, run the wires and yer done

for the intended application, I'd imagine something like
Dayton Audio CS620W 6-1/2" 2-Way In-Wall Speaker Pair

couldn't be all that hurtful either

stand back now for the onslaught critiques

While not inclined to be quite as negative as Bare in regards to a categorical dismissal of the sound quality of in-walls, I couldn't agree with him more on the subject of location. ;)

But if sonics, imaging, etc are not a huge priority, I'd wager you could find something suitable enough a many local electrical wholesalers for probably less than $100 ea. I've put background music systems in a couple of small restaurants owned by my son during the past 3 years, and several cheapie pairs of ceiling mount 2-ways the likes of Dayton

Dayton Audio ME650C 6-1/2" Micro-Edge LCRS 15 Degree Angled Ceiling Speaker

worked just fine - cut a round hole in the suspended ceiling tiles, run the wires and yer done

for the intended application, I'd imagine something like
Dayton Audio CS620W 6-1/2" 2-Way In-Wall Speaker Pair

couldn't be all that hurtful either

stand back now for the onslaught critiques
Imaging and such is not important, but I would like something with bearable audio quality.

The Dayton's may be reasonable, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Paradigm? Let's you keep yer bucks this side of the 49th, and the company's products are renowned for decent performance

Paradigm | In-Wall | CI Home H55-IW | Overview

Actually I just installed a Paradigm ceiling speaker in the bathroom that serves its purpose very well.

I'm leaning toward Paradigm or PSB, but PSB seem to have fewer dealerships for this sort of thing. I thought I would look at any full range options as well, however, as I guessed there might be good possibilities there.

For sound in a kitchen I'd just look at the in-wall offerings from parts-express.com. This is not a critical listening situation after all.

Beyond that I'd get a few yards of white grill cloth and build a pair of simple frames to cover the speakers. Find a local watercolor artist and turn your speaker grills into actual artwork that fits your kitchen's decor.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.