Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Line Array Full Range Specs?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2016, 11:49 PM   #1
samsagaz is offline samsagaz  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default Line Array Full Range Specs?

Hey guys, can someone tell me which are the specs of the drivers to match an Line Array configuration?

Im interested in made some test of making an line array, but want to know wich specs to see to choice the drivers!

Thanks in advance
Old 6th July 2016, 01:59 AM   #2
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Best ratio of quality vs price:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ine-array.html
Old 6th July 2016, 04:02 PM   #3
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of people like the Vifa TC9. It has a smooth response and a low-distortion motor. For a line array, you are looking for as small a driver as possible with which you can comfortably hit the lowest frequency you intend to reproduce using the array. A smaller size will push comb-filtering upwards, though this is really not a problem in real-world situations as long as you sit far away from the array. The TC9 hits the spot because of the aforementioned qualities and because it is very cheap.

Here is my line array build thread:
Corner Floor-to-Ceiling Line Array Using Vifa TC9

I know of at least two more folks here on diyaudio who have also built line arrays using the TC9.
Old 6th July 2016, 05:23 PM   #4
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

One of the benefits of the TC9 for line array duty is that it has a slightly rising top end and minimal ringing in it's impulse. Personally I didn't choose it for it's attractive price.
Though I won't complain about it either .

Look in this thread for a lot of measurements from different sources: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ml#post4262278

If you do decide to build a line array using full range drivers, be prepared to use DSP/EQ to get it to work.

Here's another: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...r-drivers.html

And still more: Stupid Cheap Line Array
(one of the first arrays with the Vifa I've seen)

And yet another: Stupid Cheap Line Array

It shows the Vifa TC9 FD18-08 is quite popular for line arrays, and for a good reason.

Most important to me: clean IR, rising high frequency response, flat FR response and clean early waterfall plots. For a cheap driver it's very well made with shorting rings and a good combination of basket material and the paper cone. The low price is a bonus.

Be aware that there are actually 2 drivers with the "TC9" designation in the Tymphany camp. We are all talking about the Vifa TC9 FD18-08.
In Germany this Vifa driver is also known as the Peerless FR35/8.

Last edited by wesayso; 6th July 2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 6th July 2016, 06:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks RA7! using an Line Array like yours will sound better/at least equal than spending the same money into HighEnd Drivers?
Old 6th July 2016, 06:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I know at least two others using this driver, one buried in my thread somewhere and another in one of the general line array topics...

I found the last one, my thread is too big to find the other
Cloning IDS-25s
Old 6th July 2016, 06:11 PM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

If cost is no object. Get qnty 50 x ScanSpeak 10F/8424 or 10F/8414. Like TC9FD but even better. Basically the same designers of the TC9FD/TG9FD but told to go hog wild in specifying it.

Another option is TG9FD10-8. It's about $22 ea but has the nice smooth fiberglass sound of the 10F without the price.

Other options to consider are Fountek FR88EX and Dayton RS100P-8.

None of these options will have the sensitivity of the 3FE25 - something to consider at $19ea.

Last edited by xrk971; 6th July 2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 6th July 2016, 06:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

i can get Fountek FR88EX and Fountek FR89EX too.

can i use less than 50 units? how much power i will need to move 25 drivers on each cabinet? :S

If use these 25 drivers at front, can i build using the same drivers some center channel and surround ones ? (of course using less driver amount!)

Regards
Old 6th July 2016, 06:20 PM   #9
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Those Founteks actually are very nice. I did not like aluminum cone drivers until I listened to one. They use a lot of rubber damping sheets and cement to get rid of the ringing. Very clear HF presentation that probably beats the venerable TC9.

What you want is to have as many drivers filling the vertical space floor to ceiling as possible. That's how they make their magic. Too short and it just sounds like a combing array of small drivers. When you have 25 per side it is about same area as a 15in woofer so bass can be very palpable.

I would say probably say 20 vertical is minimum. You would run 4x5 series parallel so maybe 10ohms or 6.4ohms equivalent load.

You don't need much to driver them as they are more sensitive when series parallel (97dB equivalent IIRC for 25 TC9's). But to get full bass impact I remember hearing a 250w class AB amp is needed. However it seems like many people are pretty happy with a 100w amp for smaller spaces.
Old 6th July 2016, 06:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Those Founteks actually are very nice. I did not like aluminum cone drivers until I listened to one. They use a lot of rubber damping sheets and cement to get rid of the ringing. Very clear HF presentation that probably beats the venerable TC9.

What you want is to have as many drivers filling the vertical space floor to ceiling as possible. That's how they make their magic. Too short and it just sounds like a combing array of small drivers. When you have 25 per side it is about same area as a 15in woofer so bass can be very palpable.

I would say probably say 20 vertical is minimum. You would run 4x5 series parallel so maybe 10ohms or 6.4ohms equivalent load.

You don't need much to driver them as they are more sensitive when series parallel (97dB equivalent IIRC for 25 TC9's). But to get full bass impact I remember hearing a 250w class AB amp is needed. However it seems like many people are pretty happy with a 100w amp for smaller spaces.
70 watt would be enough with the 10F to get similar results as 240 watt on the Vifa's .

Forgot to mention: if you want your arrays to do bass: x-max gets important too, the 10F, TC9 and TG9 are covered with about 2.6 mm. But do check the other candidates! The Founteks don't have a comparable x-max, do they?

Hmm according to this: Spec sheet they have 3mm of x-max. Making it another good candidate. I remember the IR being reasonably clean. Cleaner than the Dayton mentioned.

I'd recommend looking into FIR filtering to do the necessary EQ.

Last edited by wesayso; 6th July 2016 at 06:49 PM.

Line Array Full Range Specs?Hide this!Advertise here!