TangBand W3871s Cap and Inductor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After trying the TangBand W3871s in various enclosures I am wanting to experiment with it further. I have some spare tweeters (Vifa D26NC-15-06) and want to pair them up with the TangBand W3871s. I don't want to use a crossover, just inline caps and inductors. Some of you probably think this is a bit idiotic since the TangBand W3871s is full range but oh well. At any rate, I am wondering if anyone has tried this and what they used for inductor values on the TB and what they used for capacitor values on the tweeter, also the respecitve frequency cutoff points. And if anyone hasn't done this but has a pretty good guess and what values to use that would be helpful also. I am not after perfection (although precision would be nice if available), just experimentation. Thanks in advance.

Well, you're right, it does seem odd to add a quality tweeter to an inexpensive full-ranger that needs help on the low end much more than the upper end, but if you feel like playing......
I suppose I'd go very high on the XO point, maybe even 7-8Khz. The 871s do well to that point like many in it's class do. So, a small inductor and cap, say .1mH and 3uF to start. You'll need to pad the tweeter with something like 8 ohm resistors (L-pad 8 ohm parallel, 8 ohm series). This is just a suggestion for someplace to start. I just noticed something; you said "in-line". Do you mean before the amp? Another thought, you could bring the tweeter in much sooner, say 3-4Khz since that's above all the fundamentals anyway. So a .25mH inductor and 4uF cap perhaps. In any case, what you're doing is a crossover.

Curious George said:
Excellent response. Thanks Tim. I will order the parts and and let you know how it sounds. Thanks.

Just wondering if you have experimented yet?

I am interested in a similar idea, maybe with the w4-657S though, as their top end doesnt look as good. (basing this off the freq res chart for the 657SC, guessing its similar).

Couldnt send you an email because youve disabled that :)

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.