Best enclosure for 15" audio nirvana? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2016, 10:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best enclosure for 15" audio nirvana?

I have a virtual pipe organ and am looking to build speakers for it. Currently, based on others reviews, it looks to me like the Audio Nirvana 12" or more likely 15" speakers are the most likely candidates for what I would like. I also have gleaned that ANs cabinets are, basically, crap.

Being new to speaker building, I was hoping to benefit from your pool of wisdom as to what type of enclosure works best with these type of drivers?

Thanks,
~Scott
Old 21st May 2016, 11:15 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have contemplated what i would put the AN 15 into… a ~200L Boffle enclosure. I did the modeling for and started doing a drawing for a monster miniOnken for these, but i deemed it far too large.

Now i'd be using it with a hifi not a pipe organ.

dave
Old 21st May 2016, 11:38 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

What you want for a realistic virtual pipe organ is way
beyond FR's with quite pathetic excursion capabilities.

YMMV but I'd suggest these :
Zaph|Audio - SB12.3 3-Way Tower
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...idrange-3-way/

Best placement is mid/treble drivers to
the inside, unlike the madisound photo.

For hifi it doesn't remotely need any subs, but if you
want to plumb the depths down to 16Hz it might.

As advised in the write up you'd probably want to
increase cabinet depth to bring up the low range.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 22nd May 2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 22nd May 2016, 03:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies. My interest in FR stems from being able to do without crossovers. While a few stops do go down to 16Hz at the lowest note, and some can go quite high, just like vocals, the music lives in the midrange. Clarity is also key.

An aspect of pipes that organists like to reproduce, if possible, is an omnidirectional ambience, if possible. I have heard of folks placing batteries of near-field monitors on their backs against a wall to get the effect.

To be honest, I don't mind a crossover really low, like 100Hz or so, or really high, like over 10kHz.

I am not committed to any 1 design or driver, I have just read a lot of favorable reviews on here and other forums by folks that were favorably impressed by the AN 15.
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:43 AM   #5
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

it would be good to confirm from several owners, the typical parameters. My AN8 have had their fs and qts go up by ~1.4 lately, but have been laying out for several years/ My AN10's parameters seem stable, but had fs and qts higher than spec. If AN15's qts is reasonable, then it should play ok in the original Karlson enclosure (1951 invention), That will limit cone motion and make better use of the limited excursion, with less modulation distortion. New K-couplers can be made and member xrk971 will take time to simulate K15 type, Karlsonator type or simplified bandpass assumpion if one is serious.

Smaller drivers with xover ~80Hz to a tapped horn/pipe or t-line sub might work as well and save some cost. Maybe Scottmoose and P10 have some suggestions.

a 4- way system with horn loading from 60 up could be fun limiting midbass horn bulk to around 8 cubic feet. For another approach, a K-tube tweeter can be used with K-coupler lowers or direct radiator lowers - subjective dispersion is very good - objective collapses at high f straight down the tube.

how much power do you intend to apply and how large is the space? are you playing more theater than "classical" sounds?
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Some would consider this to be irrelevant, but it's a salient point. If you're attracted to wideband drivers purely due to the lack of crossover, then you need to remember that most wideband drivers do have a crossover. It just happens to be mechanical rather than electrical. If the driver has a sub-cone (whizzer or similar), or any kind of decoupling to a smaller, or progressively smaller section of the cone, there's your XO.
Old 22nd May 2016, 05:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

O.K., that is 'need to know info' freddi! The area is basically 3 rooms, music room, kitchen and living room continuous, so it's app. 26' x 12', with some low obstructions (cabinets) in the kitchen.

Power levels are not high, I don't like "loud". The system doubles as my stereo as well. I use classical samples, mostly French actually, sweet flutes to bold reeds and brilliant mixtures. I do not often employ the 32' stops (that reach down to 16Hz), They rattle too many thing in the house! I usually find 16' (32Hz) satisfactory.

I have entertained thoughts of various configurations, front, upfiring, bipole, dipole, open baffle, combinations. I find that everything has it's fans and detractors. I just would like to come up with something that sounds better then the Wharfdales that I have now. Oh, and do so affordably.

Cheers
~Scott
Old 22nd May 2016, 08:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I would put them into open baffles and mount them on top of two 15" H-frames similar to this...

Project 10 : Lowther Open Baffle / Acoustic Elegance H Frame System

The overall look of the speaker can be changed by placing the H-frames on top of each other and sitting the open baffle alongside it rather than above.
Old 22nd May 2016, 08:35 PM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I suspect imagination is taking over from any experience.

I'd suggest this, if you want affordable and ambience :

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...diy-sunflowers

Click the image to open in full size.

Tune it extremely low (18 Hz?) or go sealed if you want
to use 16Hz bass stops.* Nevertheless the 8" bass unit
with 7mm of excursion will go louder than a 15" with 1mm.

The AN15 is good for flea powered amplifiers and huge boxes.
The Sunflower needs lots more power to do the same job
in a more compact and elegant package, say 50-150W.

YMMV but I'd expect the Sunflowers to slaughter the ANs
across the midrange for accuracy, clarity and ambience.
(All the drivers have class leading low distortion numbers.)

rgds, sreten.

* The effect will be very room acoustics dependent.

Last edited by sreten; 22nd May 2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:04 PM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

some of my toys - might do organ at modest levels - Beta10cx is in-efficient/cheap/fairly rugged - the little midbass horn might be ~104dB in its bandwidth
- in my youth, wideband speakers often had mechanical crossover frequencies - wonder how those were determined - ?

http://i.imgur.com/8qag2Xo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vnHnxao.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/I1YiIFW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e2Pc4od.jpg

Last edited by freddi; 22nd May 2016 at 11:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!