Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2016, 07:26 AM   #1
oneplustwo is offline oneplustwo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers

This is a new thread specifically regarding my version of the Murphy Corner loaded line array using Vifa TC9 and stealing ideas from both RA7 and wesayso's line array threads.

Mine will be somewhat unique in that I can build them into the walls themselves so I can get the drivers as close to the corner as possible while also optimizing the enclosure volume.

Still in planning stages, but here's what I'm thinking so far.

- Power through 2 DIY NCore 400 monoblocks
- DSP through either miniDSP or whatever may come with the HT receiver I end up purchasing... perhaps an XMC from Emotiva.
- I have two Stereo Integrity 18' already with the intent of an IB subwoofer but may not use them if I can EQ the arrays to sufficiently represent HT bass.
- Will be building in surrounds into the ceilings (Atmos) and walls
- Room is about 11' wide by 20' deep. I'll throw up a sketch at some point.
- Sources will be a variety of things from SACD to vinyl to CD to HTPC.

And as no thread is complete without some pictures, here is where the remodel is at the moment:

The old room is gone and here we have some jack hammering to reinforce the foundation:
Click the image to open in full size.

One interesting tidbit...

Our house was full of old knob and tube wiring. There are a few spots where it appears the wiring got super hot (short?) to the point of charring the nearby wood! Not sure how this was discovered as it also appears as if some tar or some other insulating substance was applied on the wires. In any case, we're rewiring the entire house so this won't be an issue again. While I'm on the topic though, is there anything I should specify for the HT room itself? I'm not a huge believer in power conditioning or whatever, but thought it would be worth asking.

Finally, in case you're curious... here's a shot of the second floor totally gutted:

This is through the kitchen into the two rear bedrooms which happen to be directly above the first shot.

Thanks in advance for all your help to come!
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:28 PM   #2
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

So this is the new thread . I'll keep an eye on it!
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:37 PM   #3
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

old knob and tube wiring is soldered so the burn mark was likely produced at the time it was installed with an old blow torch. the stuff that appears to be tar is the old rubber tape that has degraded over time.
big reno job you've got on your hands!
i guess sound proofing is something that you may have to consider otherwise late night viewing of action movies will keep the occupents of the bedrooms awake(maybe).
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Based on my experiences so far I'd opt for a solution that includes a FIR option in the DSP chain aside from the usual IIR EQ. Maybe something to think about. Even a PC would work and have more possibilities than most MiniDSP offerings.
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks wesayso, that's something I've considered based on reading your thread and RA7's experiences. The whole 2 channel vs. HT thing is making my decision making process a bit difficult. And I'm new to DSP in general so I have a lot to learn to inform my decision making. But the good news is that I have time.
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

A software player like JRiver works very well for me to separate the two functions. It has a lot of power built in plus an excellent video renderer. They are currently working on adding 3D video etc. If you haven't tried it download a 30 day trail. Be prepared to buy it though, I didn't want to be without it after those 30 days ran out...
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm a Mac guy and it looks like they support Mac. That said, any insight as to whether the Mac version is particularly good or bad? Also, any high demands from a processing perspective? I'd like to run it via a new-ish Macbook Pro (early 2015 - 13" Retina).
Old 2nd May 2016, 05:03 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

As for the electrical - if the home is being completely rewired, at the very least a separate sub panel for the listening room, individual circuits for each component type (source / signal / power), and hospital grade AC receptacles would be worth considering.

But unless the electrical is a a horror show, you'll likely get far better improvement by incorporating sound treatment / isolation in the reno. Earl Geddes published a nice little text on "Premium Home Theatre" a while back, from which a lot can be gleaned that would be applicable to any audio-centric rebuild.
Home Theater
Old 2nd May 2016, 06:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
I'm a Mac guy and it looks like they support Mac. That said, any insight as to whether the Mac version is particularly good or bad? Also, any high demands from a processing perspective? I'd like to run it via a new-ish Macbook Pro (early 2015 - 13" Retina).
The MAC version is younger and less developed. It time it will grow I'm sure, but my praise is for the Windows version. I started experimenting with it 4 or 5 years ago. It suits me well as it continues to develop.
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bigger issue may be how to get the filter into JRiver. Looks like DRC and RePhase are PC only. Can REW create the filter file? In the wiki, it says that it does not support linear phase filtering which I take to mean the filters are only good for IIR.

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 driversHide this!Advertise here!