Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2018, 05:13 AM   #621
oneplustwo is offline oneplustwo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes that is what I’ve been doing. I just haven’t run DRC with them as of yet. I’ve been using HDMI from the NUC since I was trying to make video work through it as well.
Old 9th February 2018, 08:51 AM   #622
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If you have a 7.2 AVR you should be able to construct a signal in Jriver that splits it to the channels you want.
If you play a movie the signal would contain all separate streams too, and not let the AVR decide how to split it, right?

The only problem I see is that HDMI might be limited to 8 channels.
HDMI as carrier for multi-channel audio for active speakers

Though it might be possible to support 7.1 on HDMI, so you could send a clean summed mono to that .1 channel that gets crossed and split by your AVR.
That way you can control the mains with FIR and the subs can be somewhat controlled as a pair and still benefit from FIR processing.
Blog - 10.1 Things You Should Know About HDMI | Axiom Audio
Old 9th February 2018, 04:09 PM   #623
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
If you have a 7.2 AVR you should be able to construct a signal in Jriver that splits it to the channels you want.
If you play a movie the signal would contain all separate streams too, and not let the AVR decide how to split it, right?
This may be true. It treats the sub channels differently based on what you determine to be your speaker size. If you say they're small, then it sums lower freq with the LFE signal. I believe if you say they're large, it may not do that at all in which case I could FIR the channels separately. The problem is, my surround channels ARE small so it may be good to have the AVR route lower freq to the subs.

I'll have to do some more digging on this. And perhaps just try a few different methods to see what works best.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 11th February 2018, 01:06 AM   #624
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Most AVR, even when the mains are set to large, will cut them at 40Hz, and send the rest to the LFE channel.

The surrounds are usually cut at 60 to 80Hz.

Your best bet, using the equipment you have, would be to let the AVR do the XO between the mains and subs, record a sweep like that, and apply the DRC to the whole signal.

The only way you will be able to control each channels separately will be to get a multichannel DAC and a multichannel amp.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a discontinued product that gives me a remarkable USB DAC for stereo, a 5.1 decoding using a good multichannel DAC, and an extra 2 channels of summed up left and right channels. I often use the R/L summed channels for extra subs around the room. They can also be used to bi-amp the mains. Pretty cool unit, but since it is now discontinued, I can't recommend it.
Old 12th February 2018, 05:03 AM   #625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Your best bet, using the equipment you have, would be to let the AVR do the XO between the mains and subs, record a sweep like that, and apply the DRC to the whole signal.
Yes, that's my plan at the moment. Hope to have some time this week to give it a go.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:56 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

SPL and phase from the first cut. The whole house shook with the subs cranking at the low levels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018 02 12 spl and phase.jpg (80.8 KB, 103 views)

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 driversHide this!Advertise here!