Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2017, 03:00 PM   #461
HammerSandwich is offline HammerSandwich
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
I don't think you can have two separate audio outputs from two different hardware playing at the same time in a Windoz machine.

You can in a Mac though. It's called Aggregate Audio.
On Windows, you'll need additional software to do the same thing. There are a number of "virtual audio cable" apps; I've read good things about Voicemeeter Banana.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:11 PM   #462
magig160 is offline magig160  Canada
diyAudio Member

VAC works ! but in my case I find this application has a lack a transparency compare with 1 direct output.

my 2 cents

Great project by the way !
Old 9th November 2017, 03:21 PM   #463
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys ... I learned something today!

As mentioned, these software hacks work, but there are often glitches along the way.
I ran into clock sync with the Mac and Aggregate a few times. It's not perfect.

Nothing will beat a simple solution.

I stand by the option of using HDMI to AVR for movies, and a USB stereo DAC for music listening, powered by a cool NUC or similar.
Old 9th November 2017, 04:01 PM   #464
oneplustwo is offline oneplustwo  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree, simple is usually the best path forward! Is the USB stereo DAC path because we are assuming that the DAC in the AVR is not as good as the one in the standalone DAC? I tend to agree that's the case academically speaking, but it may not be worth the incremental improvement given I'll need to swap cables to make it happen. Plus, the DAC in the XMC-1 is reasonably good and my XDA-2 DAC isn't exactly world class.

So, perhaps even simpler, I'll just make it super simple and just go HDMI and be done. Of course, this option means I need to keep the AVR, but there's other value in that as well. Plus, I don't need to get as nice a PC now. Pricing out one of the cheaper ones, I can be out the door well under $300, so that's not too bad. I may even be able to get away with an existing Mac laptop if I can be happy with the Mac version of the software!
Old 9th November 2017, 04:23 PM   #465
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I'd say the Mac version of JRiver is fine.... but...

If you want to test convolution, it is far simpler to do so with the PC version of JRiver and their WDM driver which lets you test the settings "live".

On the Mac, you could make it work with AULab.
Old 9th November 2017, 05:39 PM   #466
diyAudio Member

Some reading that might help :

Aduio Quality: DAC vs HDMI : DACs - Volumio

Music in the Round #74 Page 2 | Stereophile.com
Old 9th November 2017, 06:28 PM   #467
diyAudio Member

and

ASUS xonar U7 and W10 APO DSP measurements
Old 10th November 2017, 01:42 AM   #468
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the resources! I think I'll get a NUC and associated RAM/HDD on black friday deal and get the one with TOSLINK and then I can compare using that output for 2 channel and HDMI through the AVR. Then I can make a head to head comparison for my own personal edification. It's a relatively small investment that can be repurposed to one of my kids if I feel the need to upgrade later on. And swapping cables can be planned for in my cabinet build so it's not too onerous. Will be fun!

Now, time to get my subwoofers built!
Old 29th November 2017, 08:30 PM   #469
diyAudio Member

Well I got my Intel NUC, loaded up REW and JRiver, dug out the microphone, and started down the rabbit hole of DSP.

It's going to take a while to get where I want to be and perhaps there will never be an end to the tweaking but for now, a few questions. Hopefully these aren't terribly embarrassing...

1. At a high level, do I have my process right?
- Microphone about 8" from speaker about in the middle of the height
- What smoothing is best? I'm thinking between 1/12 and 1/24
- Any commentary on my target or measurement settings?
- I can load the Filter Impulse Response as .wav file into JRiver... is that the right one?
2. When I play back with convolution after loading, I get a delay... about one second. At first, I thought it was because I had used "acoustic timing reference" but when I tried again with no reference I still had the same problem.
3. When playing through my AVR, does it make sense to use any of the parametric EQ capabilities (Emotiva XMC-1) or just leave it alone with convolution?
4. What's the difference between impulse response and filters impulse response? Is the impulse response just the dirac pulse and resultant ringing? Whereas the filters response is what Jriver uses for convolution?

That's it for now... thanks for your help!
Old 29th November 2017, 08:33 PM   #470
diyAudio Member

images...
Attached Images
File Type: png response.PNG (389.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: png measurement.PNG (109.2 KB, 153 views)

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 driversHide this!Advertise here!