Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2016, 10:28 PM   #11
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

While that is true, you don't need the DRC/RePhase programs for playback. Just for the task they can provide after you've made your measurements. Meaning it can be done on a PC anywhere and isn't part of the chain. Aren't there Windows emulators? I really have no clue but I'm sure this step isn't your biggest hurdle.
Old 3rd May 2016, 01:05 AM   #12
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I've run DRC with WINE on my Mac. It works fine.

Then, just point JRiver's convolution plugin to the file DRC created.

The Mac version of JRiver was always a little behind, but mostly for video. They do offer good quality video in the latest version.

Another very nice , but music player only, is Audirvana.
Old 3rd May 2016, 01:14 AM   #13
oneplustwo is offline oneplustwo  United States
diyAudio Member

Ooo... I was dreading installing parallels or something but WINE sounds perfect! Thanks for the tip!
Old 3rd May 2016, 02:00 AM   #14
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello! So, this is the thread. Looking forward to how this unfolds. I am with Wesayso on the FIR part. It is a no-brainer really. JRiver+PC based EQ and crossover (for HT and subs, maybe?) is the way to go.

One thing I will warn you about JRiver is that it cannot play movies natively like you can on a Blu-ray player. You need some sort of decrypter to unlock the discs. This has been a big problem for me as I don't want to mess with a subscription to decryption software. Once unlocked, JRiver is good about playing the thing and showing you options, etc. And for audio only playback, there is no competition for JRiver, IMHO.

Another thing to be wary of is delay introduced by convolution. If you are playing within JRiver, then the audio and video will be automatically synced, but if you are playing Netflix from a browser, there may be lip sync issues if your convolution file introduces a delay. They used to have a Netflix plugin within JRiver, but Netflix has since denied them this facility. Audio/Video sync will be a problem even with a dedicated FIR box, for example, the one from MiniDSP. JRiver is ahead of the rest in that it automatically syncs video if you are playing inside JRiver.

All this sounds complicated, and it is. There are solutions, but you have to be able to invest the time. I am just about comfortable with JRiver's audio setup, but I have not figured out a comfortable solution for the movie part yet.

Last edited by ra7; 3rd May 2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 3rd May 2016, 02:04 AM   #15
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I should ask, Wesayso, what do you do for playing movies through JRiver? AnyDVD?
Old 3rd May 2016, 02:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Ooo... I was dreading installing parallels or something but WINE sounds perfect! Thanks for the tip!
Yep, it works fine, but there is occasional glitches, like it tries to redraw the window sometimes. Nothing major and all functions of DRC work as they should.

REW has a Mac version as well, so no problem there either.

I use XLD to convert my files from .wav in REW to .pcm used by DRC. Works great.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/
Old 3rd May 2016, 04:57 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well, I got WINE installed and it seems to run DRC fine. I'm not sure I quite understand how to run DRC yet so I'm sure I'll be asking for help here. I can't seem to find a DRC for dummies resource anywhere but maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

So you need to run REW too? Is that just to generate the sweep.pcm and inverse.pcm files? And then you use XLD to convert the .wav files from REW to the .pcm files used by DRC?

This sure is complicated!
Old 3rd May 2016, 05:13 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

There's a DRC for newbie that Gmad and myself put up....let me see where it is...

Here: A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networks

Gmad (post #1) gives a more in depth look at DRC, and my guide (post #9) is more a how=to get the files into DRC.
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:16 AM   #19
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
I should ask, Wesayso, what do you do for playing movies through JRiver? AnyDVD?
For now I just rip every disk I want to play to hard drive in a mkv container. I cannot play DVD or Blu-ray directly without troubles. There are a lot of tools to store movies in mkv files. Not ideal by any means but it's my preferred solution right now. I do the same for audio but you need space, a lot of space, to store it all. Storing them on HD has been the only real option for me to get any ease of use but I can understand not wanting to go there. I'm always cramped for space as my Son regularly wants to watch his old movies again.
As a result I'm not even close to having all my music files on hard disk.
I guess a big, really big, NAS is in my future.

In Netflix I found the option to sync the sound and video. At first I went back to IIR for that but that's hardly a solution once you've heard what the FIR processing can do. Clicking Alt+Shift plus left mouse button gives you access to AV Sync options. Figure the delay out once though sadly you have to adjust it every time you want to play something new.

Netflix never played natively in JRiver over here.
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks perceval, you've given me a head start for sure! I saw the DRC designer option somewhere along the way... is that a good way to go for a noob given the nature of GUI's?

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 driversHide this!Advertise here!