Mechaical Resistance of Passive Radiator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2016, 11:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mechaical Resistance of Passive Radiator

I have some passive radiator samples and want to use them for another full-range driver. From measurement and simulation, I realized not need to add mass (straightforward), but also adjust the Q. I need to lower the Q of the passive radiator. This is equivalent to increase the mechanical resistance of surround. Correct? How can I do that with the existing passive radiators?
Old 21st April 2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Ideally the Q would be very high, why do you want to lower it?
If you want to reduce output, reduce box size.
Old 21st April 2016, 02:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I also have boxes built for the original full-range driver. I want to reuse the box and passive radiator for another full-range of identical mounting hole size. I have tried to increase moving mass of the passive. The alignment is better. Simulation showed that the peak can be avoided by lowering Q of the passive.

Last edited by panson_hk; 21st April 2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 21st April 2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

You could try things like radial strips of silicone or some other goo on the spider (assuming it has one). Or as the PR you could find a driver the same size as the PR, and short the coil with various value resistors. Put mass on the cone or knock off the magnet and maybe put it inside the coil to tune it...You could even drill some holes in the box or PR to make the box leaky...Tuning it lower might fix your issue, or gluing blocks of wood or something inside your enclosure....Add a bucking magnet to the back of your fullrange to lower its Q?

You would get a lot better answer if you show us the data that led to your conclusion that you need a low Q PR.

Hide this!Advertise here!