Just finished a speaker build and I have a buzz that needs to go. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2016, 04:45 AM   #1
jbander is offline jbander  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Just finished a speaker build and I have a buzz that needs to go.

Just finished a Zaph Hi-Vi B3s for my computer. It has a buzz on certain notes, when just moderately loud.. So I tried two other speakers , they all buzz. So I checked for a ground loop , moved them away from the amp which is a small Lepy LP-2020A and the computer but it still buzzes. What should be the next step. Thanks. By the way, other then the buzz the little speakers are sweet.
Old 20th April 2016, 06:41 AM   #2
slomatt is offline slomatt  United States
diyAudio Member

Since this occurs with different speakers it would indicate the buzz is coming from some source other than the speakers. It would be a bit odd for the electronics to only buzz at a specific frequency, are you sure it's not something else in the room resonating at that frequency? If you you hold the speaker off the table do you still hear the buzz, if so is it coming from the actual driver?
Old 20th April 2016, 07:40 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ground loops can be trickier to resolve than you think, - I've had systems with a total of half a dozen components connected and found that a culprit has been shield on cable TV coax feed not properly grounded to AC mains panel. Disconnect it, or isolate with appropriate filters, and it goes away.

Try feeding your amp with signal from a DC powered mobile device such as iPod, phone, etc. to isolate if it's upstream.
Old 21st April 2016, 02:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Also, if you are using super cheap interconnects from walmart or something. They can cause a buzz.
Old 21st April 2016, 03:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well I moved in my Nachimichi amp into my computer room/bedroom. It sounds better, like 90% better but I'll still work on the 10% so if anyone has anything else to contribute , please do.
Old 21st April 2016, 08:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A ground loop between the computer and the amplifier?

Try powering your Lepy from a battery to diagnose this.

If this is the cause then use a SPDIF ouput into an external DAC to cure the problem long term.
Old 21st April 2016, 05:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhamburg View Post
A ground loop between the computer and the amplifier?

Try powering your Lepy from a battery to diagnose this.

If this is the cause then use a SPDIF ouput into an external DAC to cure the problem long term.
I'm a little Little confused the spdif output on what.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The idea is to decouple your PC from amp completely. So the source chain is PC > SPDIF (optical) > DAC > AMP.

As chrisb already suggested try using a battery-powered source like a mobile phone instead of your PC. Are you using built-in PC sound card? If so, you can try a USB DAC.
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well after a couple of days , I realise that through my Nakamich amp it sounds fine, in fact these two Zaph designed speakers are amazing. I haven't put fiberglass insulation in them yet and I'm looking forward to see if that improves them even more. If I decide otherwise, I'll do a DAC. thanks for the help everyone.

Hide this!Advertise here!