New little project Vifa TC9FD18-08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!
I just started a new project because the good opinions about the TC9FD18-08 fullrange speaker.
The project will be a portable speaker with good quality but I've some doubts about amplification.
I've purchase a PAM8403 board to pre-amplifier stage and a MP006 2.1 amplifier. What do you think about it? is correct to use the PAM8403 to pre-amplifier stage? will be sufficient to use with the Vifa speakers?
All of this will be connected with a bluetooth board to use with mobiles or tablets.

Thanks a lot for your opinions!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't think any of the 2.1 amplifiers work well. If you want BT, get an integrated solution rather than piecing it together. You will get bad noise pickup or ground loops. I suggest an integrated amp and BT likes his one. It sounds really good. There are variants with line input as well. This had buttons for play pause next track etc.

Online Shop Wireless Digital Bluetooth 4.0 TPA3116 50W+50W Audio Receiver Amplifier Board With Mic Free Shipping|Aliexpress Mobile

TC9FD is great driver but it requires a rather large volume to achieve bass. A driver like RS100-4 may be more appropriate. Also 3FE22 will provide a more compact box.

You don't need the PAM preamp - just the above amp can be fed directly from a phone via BT.

Thanks a lot xrk971!
The "problem" is the 5Vcc charger what I want to use with the amplifiers, If I design a 24Vcc amplifier need to add a DC boost converter circuit to the project... well It can be possible :)
Those drivers are difficult to find on my country, and in Europe too hahaha.

Thank you for your time again!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Actually made in China and then sent to Italy for application of "made in Italy" sticker. ;)

I would not have believed it but for a friend in China who obtained one from the OEM factory.

Still a nice driver. I guess it depends on laws that stipulate certain % of parts need to originate from Italy. It could be that VC's and spiders sent to China for final assembly?

Not to get OT but many fine drivers from Italian and Danish manufacturers now come from China, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc

Last edited:
Well it's not impossible of course but not so easy like monacor or beyma for example...
The difference between the Vifa and the Faital is more than double price, I found the Vifa for 13€ odd and the Faital is 34€
I've purchase the Wireless Digital Bluetooth 4.0 TPA3116 and the DC booster, my feedback in 45 days :D :D

Bump to see if Psycho has anything to report on his project, as I am exploring a similar small boombox idea.

Would the ND90 drivers be a good solution (aka Sprite boombox)?

I agree with XRK's recommended 2ch bluetooth amp, I have one a like it a lot - except for the loud beeps at power up and crazy volume level of the ringer if I get a call while I'm listening! Anyone know how to change that?

I actually bought one of the 2.1ch TPA3116 boards with bluetooth 4.0. It's the blue colored one (YJ - I think), that sells for about $18 on ebay. I was going to explore doing a 2.1 setup, but I was discouraged to hear that nasty digital bluetooth noise in the background when I tried it out. I've heard worse, but it's definitely noticeable. What I do like about it is the power up / pairing beeps are a comfortable volume. I wish Sanwa could get that part right.

There is a red colored 2.1ch bluetooth amp board on ebay for about $38. Anybody try it yet and have anything to report?

Look to Doctormord for bluetooth programming and "tweaking" of the TPA3116 and TDA7492s.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/293475-sanwu-tpa3116-csr8635-bluetooth-4-0-noise-fix.html

Other posts of his give more details on CSR.... chip programming etc.

I would say the ND90s - Sprite would be good for indoor and limited outdoor use. Probably not going to rock a party around a pool.... A hot tub maybe. :)

If you want more reliable HF above 10Khz, look elsewhere or drop some ND16s in there with a crossover.

J.

Hi all!
After a few test with the TC9FD18-08 and the bluetooth amp I can say.. the sounds is one of the worst I ever ear.
The speakers were mounted only on a mdf board, not sealed box, but the distortion was so high, incredible high for me. No way to control that distortion on with the equalizer.
Maybe on a sealed box the response were be better?
Thanks.

Hi,
Yes I've two more but they are designed for headphones.. too less power I think.
The other amp is a 6 channel Rotel...too much for the speakers I think so, and it's connected to the dcx2496.

The line input was the bluetooth but no hiss on the connection, it was only distortion. Pure distorsion if the volumen pass the 40% on my mobile.

Hi all!
After a few test with the TC9FD18-08 and the bluetooth amp I can say.. the sounds is one of the worst I ever ear.
The speakers were mounted only on a mdf board, not sealed box, but the distortion was so high, incredible high for me. No way to control that distortion on with the equalizer.
Maybe on a sealed box the response were be better?
Thanks.

What did you end up doing? I am curious because I want to build something like this.

I just got a TC9FD. Tried it free standing with a Behringer A500 and OPPO93. Sounds very nice. No bass due to no enclosure but you do need to add a larger driver for the bass. It isn't meant to play at party levels of course so turning up the volume is going to overload it. Crossed over at 200 Hz or so and you can possibly play it louder provided you don't exceed the thermal limits of the small voice coil.

For sure :), the rotel is my best at my livingroom. But now I'm think to rebuild all the project, the DC input have to be 24Vcc and no portable.... well it was a nice dream :(
If I can get it on with an acceptable distorsion I post it here.
Regards!

It is not a dream.

I have a very portable (although not super small) system with a pair of TABAQs, driven by a small TPA3116D2 with no distortion. I use a 12V emergency battery to power the system and it goes for a long time. Last test was 3 days with music from 9am to 11pm and there was still power to go!

I'm hoping to run a mini set of Karlsonators 0.37x to have smaller speakers than the TABAQs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.