First project - looking for inexpensive drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2016, 11:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First project - looking for inexpensive drivers

Hi folks, after years of trying different ready-made speakers, I would really like to try a home-made full range design. The Frugal Horn has made an appearance since my last decco on the internet for suitable designs and it looks very tempting - a right royal match of straightforward to make, manageable size and excellent sound! Horrah :-)
I'm a competent DIY wood-worker, but I'm a bit anxious about making my first pair of cabinets and wouldn't mind hedging my bets a bit by getting hold of an inexpensive pair of drivers - has anyone got a pair of unwanted full range drivers they want to get rid of? Or else can point me in the direction of new drivers that would be suitable for a cheap first build - my budget is for the whole mdf-based first project is about 50.
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:23 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Vifa or Peerless TC9FD, TG9FD, Dayton PS95-8, Dayton RS100-4, Faital Pro 3FE25, Dayton PA130-8

For a first build - try a Karlsonator. Any of the above drivers can work if scaled properly - most have plans for scale in following thread.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Some of the above drivers can work in Tabaq (not the Vifa's and not PA130-8).

If I had to pick one to recommend - go with the PA130-8 in a 0.53x scale Karlsonator.
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you're really strapped for cash you might be able to get some drivers for experimentation from other sources like old pc systems.

I've heard of people getting good drivers from old crt tvs too but I can't find much info on that.

Logitech z5500 sattelites TB W3-871s.

I've coaxed interesting results out of 8" paper cone whizzer car door drivers too.
Old 27th March 2016, 03:08 AM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Caveat emptor.. Mate.. 'Free Lunches' are a rare Find
Old 27th March 2016, 03:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey Bare,

I hear you but my own feelings now are that if you're looking at diy audio as a hobby for life I think messing about with cheap and nasty stuff is no harm? Practicing woodwork or the various other skills involved is no waste of time?

If you're here to build yourself a great system straight away, just go to one of the established builds.
Old 27th March 2016, 12:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As X mentioned, the TABAQs and the Needles are easy builds.
There's a folded TABAQ for desktops as well.

The Karlsonators have a few more cuts and glue, but surely nice as well.

Any of those would make a great first foray into DIY speakers.
Old 27th March 2016, 09:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you just want to get your full range feet wet, I would get a pair of Aurosound NS3-193-8A1 3" drivers and build a pair of Woden Design Redeye cabinets. I would personally rather build the Bloodhounds using the new Alpair 5.2 drivers but they are over twice as expensive. I currently have some Fostex FF105WK drivers in some bass reflex boxes. They are decent sounding but a bit too dry for my taste, thus the Alpair recommendation.

Last edited by ssportclay; 27th March 2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: removed 1 word
Old 28th March 2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

+1

One issue is building a folded TL right rather than a "simple(r)" box.

Though another might be that the drivers delivered to the UK won't be all that cheap.
Old 28th March 2016, 05:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Tangband were among my first full range drivers and I think they are a good first driver. All the brands listed above work. It's a matter of finding the one in your price range that works with the type of cabinet you want to build. If you build a back horn I recommend Fostex as well as a BIB cabinet.

Hide this!Advertise here!