New enclosure design- Vortex by Flare Audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Xaborus is offline Xaborus  United States
diyAudio Member

Question New enclosure design- Vortex by Flare Audio

Hey guys.

A small business called Flare Audio has created quite a stir with a new enclosure design. I was skeptical but a university ran some tests and shows that it works.

It's hard to find pictures on how exactly this enclosure works, but it appears that the rear radiation is sent through "fins" to try to spin the rear driver output. Almost like the "stock" heat sinks that come with CPU's.

I figured it would be most easily prototyped and tested with fullrangers first, which is why I posted here.

I'm sure Xrk will have a blast trying to figure out & measure prototypes

Discuss on how we can implement, or improve this design.
Old 6th March 2016, 12:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So the idea is to silence the sound without restricting airflow, is that it?
So, no more stuffing?
Old 6th March 2016, 12:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not a whole lot on their site (links to which generally help so we don't have to waste our time going hunting ).

Creative, & good for them. Hope they do well. To be honest, based on a quick look, I'm not seeing much that is new per se, more variations on the vortex generator & swirl-vane themes that have been present in aerodynamics (some acoustics), gas compressor & exhaust design for 7 decades or so. Applied properly, it's perfectly valid. I sometimes incorporate elements from these into my own designs. B&W do something similar (not quite the same, but it's distantly related) with some of their tweeter loads; at the most prosaic related level is the stuffing of reflex / vent termini with straws or similar. Again, not exactly the same, but the underlying physics are connected.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 6th March 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 6th March 2016, 01:00 PM   #4
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

- even works in warehouses to deliver clear sound without hearing damage News - News
- reasonably light BP_horn http://www.flareaudio.com/products/q15/

Last edited by freddi; 6th March 2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 6th March 2016, 03:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Aye. Although I'd be a trifle wary about 'directional bass'. (OK, OK, so > c. 70Hz it does get that way)
Old 6th March 2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I like how companies talk about their ideal being to reproduce the sound coming in exactly at the output without coloration, as if this is something no one has ever thought of before.

Normally I immediately dismiss any audio gear that uses the words nano or vortex in the advertising copy.

Quote:
Aye. Although I'd be a trifle wary about 'directional bass'.
You may laugh, but it does exist, as I found out when I made a really REALLY big horn.
Old 6th March 2016, 10:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh, it does. But only really above ~70Hz or so as far as our hearing mechanism goes (although there are other factors in addition to that). And of course that does affect the harmonics of lower frequency notes, so it's something of a chicken / egg situation. As a rule, I'm with Geddes et al about the advantages of multiple subs for e.g.
Old 6th March 2016, 11:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have to say I'm most interested in the use of these enclosures to make a "virtual" IB. The benefits of no enclosure resonances of OB, without the dipole peak or cancellation of the front & rear wave of OB (huge baffles for bass).

Then I thought of Xrk's nautilus, I wonder if it's working by a vortex means or TL means.

Last edited by Xaborus; 6th March 2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 6th March 2016, 11:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOff View Post
So the idea is to silence the sound without restricting airflow, is that it?
So, no more stuffing?
Flare audio also claims that speaker drivers in an enclosure don't follow the music/sine wave accurately due to compression of the air when the speaker driver is going "into" the enclosure (which by definition, would be a form of distortion as your modifying the signal). They claim this vortex design allows for symmetrical speaker driver movement, by reducing/removing the pressurization of the speaker enclosure.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaborus View Post
Flare audio also claims that speaker drivers in an enclosure don't follow the music/sine wave accurately due to compression of the air when the speaker driver is going "into" the enclosure (which by definition, would be a form of distortion as your modifying the signal). They claim this vortex design allows for symmetrical speaker driver movement, by reducing/removing the pressurization of the speaker enclosure.
Oh I see.
Well I get the idea, but now I'm interested in how they actually make it work.

Seems they do it to headphones too. Could be an interesting project with a 3D printer.

Last edited by FirstOff; 7th March 2016 at 12:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!