Alpair 7 gen3 power rating - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2016, 12:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 7 gen3 power rating

Hello!
How much power/watts can Markaudio Alpair 7 gen3 safely handle from amplifier ?
I use these speakers with Yamaha ht-2067 with about 70 W per channel, RMS I guess.
Thank you!.

Last edited by sorance2000; 10th February 2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10th February 2016, 05:48 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Spec sheet says 20W Nom - I've run them with an Onkyo 7.1 receiver with "rated" power of 135Wpc, but when de-rated for actual real world conditions with more than just 2 channels, let's call it "maybe 100 with a stiff tail wind" . Even so, it was more than enough for my listening needs, and if your Yamaha has anywhere near the same flexibility in its speaker set-up/ bass management, you should be able to safely configure it to eliminate the bottom couple of octaves where risk of damage from over-driving is the highest. I had set mine as "small" and with XO to the LFE channel higher than the THX standard of 80Hz.
Old 10th February 2016, 06:02 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Too much power is generally better than too little.

One just has to take care of the control of the volume. With the arrestors now built-in, the driver tells you when you are pushing them too hard.

dave
Old 10th February 2016, 06:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

true that Dave, but still not as well understood as one might hope - "I'll just use this little amp, then I can play as loud as I like and still protect the speakers..."
Old 10th February 2016, 06:24 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A good way to eat tweeters.

dave
Old 10th February 2016, 08:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Anyway I set my speakers to large because I made these for listening music too and I thought them to cut to 60 hz, but because setting them to large the receiver let whole bass to them, for music I use channel mixer in foobar for bass management. I put my system to 5.1 despite I listen music only stereo. I tried with them on small. I didn't' especially like they sound at 60 hz as this was my target crossover point (with small setting). For music I find 80 hz ruined to much of the bass stereo effect. Generally I don't like to listen too loud. I'm for clarity and details, in this case alpairs 7 are brilliant. My asking was where I should go at max with the volume. I set it now at -32db. Anyway my speakers are new and I will not raise the volume level till 100 hours break-in.
Old 10th February 2016, 09:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, you definitely need to be gentle during the break in - actually more like 200+ hrs for full effect. If you don't listen too loud (ie less than 85dB SPL) you're probably fine.
Old 11th February 2016, 06:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

What change in sound one could expect after the break-in period? I think they already sound great!
Old 11th February 2016, 07:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

My Yamaha receiver volume range is -80 +16.5 dB.
Old 13th February 2016, 03:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have run full range speakers on a 100 watt per channel Odyssey Audio Khartago with no problems and excellent results. I have run these same speakers on a TPA3118 SMSL SA-36A pro, (24 volts). This little amplifier sounds pleasant enough but fails to drive these speakers properly. Even though full range drivers are fairly efficient, driving them with tiny amplifiers is a big mistake. For people on a tight budget, look at the Emotiva a-100 mini. I also own this amplifier and this one works. The TPA-3116 class amplifiers are interesting but disappointing.

Hide this!Advertise here!