Cheap PC speaker system...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I may end up building a set of PC speakers, although with so much junk around my monitor I'm not sure where I would put them. :)

Any suggestions about two rectangular open-baffle units with single TB W3-871S drivers? Also, with less-than-ideal spacing, are there any severe repercussions when using OB speakers? I have the midtower next to my computer, and I think I may place the right speaker between the monitor and the tower, although if you guys say otherwise, I'll probably just put the tower on the floor. Other than that, there's just paper and stuff on the desk, though I suppose that wouldn't do much harm.

My desk is parked in the corner.

Go on the chip amp forum, they have the GainClone you need!

If the speaker you build are not so huge, just try to attach them to the wall up your desk, as the monitors in the studios.... If you can't because OB need to be away from any adjacent surface, then I think Its worth to spend more time designing a closed/reflex box... And I might be wrong but OB introduce vibrations that would make your screen looks fuzzy all the time.

My two cents

Be mindful that speakers are powerfull magnets and that computer hard drive go nuts around magnets. I know that the TB's are shielded but still, a small magnetic field can still get out and zap your hard drive. It can be subtil sometimes like file corruption slowly creeping in. So if I were to use your setup, I'd put the tower on the floor.

For that cheap amp your looking for, visit the Chip Amp forum and build yourself a two channel gainclone. It will provide most likely more than enough power and if you use common parts (usually found in surplus store) it can be built for less than 50$ for two channels.

For more information, visit Nuuk's page:
http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/

Hope this helps
Sébastien

These are just an el cheapo computer speaker put into a sealed 45° PVC elbow. Volume was calculated, damping in the elbow. Sounds better than before but nothing flash.... good paper weights as well.

Attachments

• computer spkr.jpg
    computer spkr.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 388
I dunno what distances of magnets from harddisk you wold be talking about. But I have one of my bass boxes about 50cm away from the computer. These are unsheilded 10" from peerless and I have had no probs what-so-ever with corruption of files.

Also remember that hardd's have very powerful neo magnets in them to control the arm that the reader head is connected to. Now the manufacturers must go to the trouble of putting on the equivelent of loudspeaker shielding, but nothing is perfect and some stray fields must leak out. So I would imagine a shielded driver maybe 20-30cm from the harddisk would have less stray fields then the neos in the harddisk.

I may be wrong on this but I dont think it is something to worry about. Plus the W15cy's and SS97's are not shielded either and they sit on top of the bass box, this puts them maybe again 50cm from the monitor and I dont get anything on it regarding magnets.

Guss said:
Go on the chip amp forum, they have the GainClone you need!

If the speaker you build are not so huge, just try to attach them to the wall up your desk, as the monitors in the studios.... If you can't because OB need to be away from any adjacent surface, then I think Its worth to spend more time designing a closed/reflex box... And I might be wrong but OB introduce vibrations that would make your screen looks fuzzy all the time.

My two cents

im not to sure how much truth is to that -- reason being, i have a car computer in the trunk of my car, and about 5" from it is a blueprint 1503. nothing is shielded. if you are not familiar with this woofer, its a big beast, about 50lbs, and if you put it within 10 ft of a tv, it doesnt work properly -- needless to say, my car pc has run flawless for nearly 2 years, HD still intact.

-chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.