audio tester T/S params - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2016, 06:41 PM   #1
emosms is offline emosms  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default audio tester T/S params

Hi,

I downloaded shareware of the program and trying to get any parameters.
Further on I could try to refine the measurements.

I use 8 ohm series resistor (happend to find one in the drawer) and started a sweep.

Only Sd diameter entered as parameter.

So here it is what I got: http://postimg.org/image/svbawj28p/full/

The Fs about 52/3 Hz looks realistic. The speaker is a whizzer rated 55 - 5000 hz.

What is the second spike in the graph? Is it related to the whizzer cone?

Also, I don't know how to start the second measurement (added mass for simplicity)

The program does not provide any T/S parameters for now.
Just that graph with red and blue line.
I guess the blue line is the impedance response and the largest peak shows Fs.

Regards
Old 5th February 2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Link to the shareware program would be very helpful. You must first measure Rdc, than input it in the program. Blue line is impedance, red line is phase.
Largest peak indeed is Fs, but second peak indicate something wrong in the procedure of measuring - not firmly attached driver maybe, or something touching the cone? Second peak has nothing to do with the properly glued whizzer cone. Inspect closely glued components: voice coil, cone, whizzer, spider and surround - are they firmly attached? Are leads touching the cone?
Old 6th February 2016, 04:25 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, probably from not clamping it to a table or similar. Here's a cheap way to measure different sizes and oriented to measure Vas: http://www.lippaudio.com/wp-content/...1-19.39.56.jpg

GM
Old 6th February 2016, 05:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I did several more tests and the graph is missing the second peak.

Will try to enter Rdc myself, so I could get any T/S results, then repeat and improve tests (hopefully)

Here is the link: audioTester

Last edited by emosms; 6th February 2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 6th February 2016, 07:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The authors claim the software is full functioning trial for 1 month, only the working session is limited to 10 minutes, then have to restart.

Quote:
Please test the software for one month and see all the measurement possibilities. In the shareware version you have all the measurement possibilities like in the full version. The real measurement time is limited to 10 minutes. After this you start the audioTester again and the next 10 minutes measurement time starts for one month.
If there are any questions or problems send a mail
I sent an email to the support (on Saturday...)

It seems, I cannot switch between Measurement 1/2 (second in a sealed box or with added mass, so I guess that's why I don't get any results: View image: mes 1 2

p.s. Rdc manually added.
Thx for the speaker fastening idea . I have some angle brackets.
Anyone worked with that software?

Regards
Old 6th February 2016, 10:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The Fs is nailed at all measurements, but the other parameters vary badly.
Especially the electrical resistance of the driver, as detected by the software.
So, I happen to get a... negative Vas in some measurements

- View image: m 001
- View image: m 002
- View image: m 003
- View image: m 004
Old 6th February 2016, 11:31 PM   #7
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Because i have it use a DATS device for impedance and T/S specs, but free REW can do same via soundcard, see below from help menu.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.PNG (194.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: png 2.PNG (273.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 7th February 2016, 11:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you, I will check that .

Latest measurements with audiotester and a question:
- because the speaker is a high Q mechanical (relatively stiff suspension) and low excursion (+-3mm) unit, do I have to use greater weight for the added mass method?

I got some more realistic Vas results, with a... Kiwi fruit of 124 grams into the whizzer cone .

The resonance frequency falls DOWN to app. 25 hertz, and there is a pronounced peak: View image: m 005

If I use a smaller weight - 20,30, ... 50 gram, I am getting a hardly visible peak at around the same as Fs - the peak is just much much lower and even

Last edited by emosms; 7th February 2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 7th February 2016, 09:10 PM   #9
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

fwiw - enough weight to drop fs a half octave (~70% of original) should be ok. Too much weight and the suspension will be out of its normal operating area. If the driver doesn't have a vented pole piece, then it could be carefully balanced on a vertically oriented piece of pvc pipe and kept away from reflections. A known volume test box can be a good way to get Vas. I often sit the magnet on the top of a piece of pvc pipe, then stabilize it with one hand so the driver won't shake or crash to the floor. That's ok with a quick sweep from WT3/Dayton DATS - two seconds and its done.

Last edited by freddi; 7th February 2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 7th February 2016, 09:44 PM   #10
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I got advised from xrk971 to use approx. double weight as mms spec in datasheet and it seems to work fine. Also he guided to use synthetic clay from a children toy shop that is a little sticky, find some neutral stuff that won't color cone, roll it as a rod then form a ring and press a little bit to stick around the dust cap or whizzer.

Hide this!Advertise here!