4 Inch "Great" Speaker for Vintage Radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2016, 02:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4 Inch "Great" Speaker for Vintage Radio

Hello there guys. I'm hoping one of you guys can help since this is your expertise. I'm looking for a really great speaker for a little vintage radio I have. I'm going to gift it to my barber but I want to replace the broken speaker with a really good all around speaker. Currently he owns a Bose radio and I sort of want him to really use the vintage radio when he gets it so I kind of want a great speaker to put in this guy that kind of makes him think twice before turning on the Bose over this guy. Right now I have a FatalPro that I have left from a previous project but it's just too big. I don't want to do any surgery at all to the chasis of the radio and therefore I'm looking for a all-around speaker just as good or better than the FatalPro that I have but that the back end of the speaker is not as big as the picture attached / below. I'm hoping you guys can give some insight. Thanks a bunch in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0118.JPG (560.2 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.JPG (544.1 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.JPG (539.7 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.JPG (566.5 KB, 331 views)
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

How is the enclosure constructed? You need to find out if the enclosure is open in the rear. If it is, you need a speaker with a high Qt to get any bass out of it.

A quick search turned up this one: W4-927SD - 4" PPM Full Range - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.

Johan-Kr
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Fenalaar. It's slightly open in the rear around the edges. It's an old radio that has a thin MDF board as a closure. This closure also holds the antenna. Your recommendation is great. I'll research it's specs to make sure it works out. Thanks again
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 927 should do nicely; it's got a moderate Q so should match reasonably to a semi-open-backed cabinet. The rising on-axis response is also worth having, as it will make the speaker useable over a reasonably wide listening axis. Flat 1m on-axis response generally translates to poor off-axis HF performance due to the rapidly increasing directionality of most cone drivers at high frequencies (there can be exceptions, but not often). If you like the 4in TB units, of the poly coned drivers, the W4-1052SDS is also pretty good -it doesn't get up quite as high as the 927, especially off-axis, so will have a slightly 'warmer' sound. Either should make quite a nice sonic match to a vintage looking box.
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry to ask. But where would I get those speakers? Googled them and there not at partsexpress or Amazon.
Old 2nd February 2016, 07:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I used this speaker when I needed one for a restored AA5 Bendix radio that belonged to my grandmother. The holes fit perfectly with the ones on the radio and it was 4ohms which fit the bill for the original 3.2ohm speaker. The speaker sounds very good for its cheap price.
BOSS BRS40 4" Dual Cone Replacement Speaker
Old 2nd February 2016, 09:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It seems like the 1052 is your only bet. Parts Express is the US distributor.

Johan-Kr
Old 2nd February 2016, 09:48 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Have you checked to see that the vintage radio is good enough to deserve a great little speaker?
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Have you checked to see that the vintage radio is good enough to deserve a great little speaker?
I sure did. I tested it with muah trusted Fatal Pro and it was gorgeous
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:24 PM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

high qts - this would be "mellow" I think vs the Faital http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-BRS40-Rep.../dp/B001RNNX8K

Last edited by freddi; 2nd February 2016 at 11:28 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!