4 inch enclosure recomendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a few reservations over the marketing claims ;) but leaving that aside, they should go in FH3 for example, and no doubt X could come up with a Karlsonator variation if you fancied something on those lines. Otherwise, a straightforward BR or compact TL variation would be possible; based on the stated spec. they should be relatively flexible in that sense.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ahh the whizzer coned AIR/Airborne/AirXXX never seem to go away...

s-l1600.jpg

They look really cool, and I would love to get one to play with if they were super cheap - but they aren't quite cheap. The specs are not impressive and really, I wouldn't do anymore than put them in an OB or a sealed box with a FAST woofer support. A Qts of 0.68 and sensitivity of 86dB is nothing special. A Tang Band bamboo cone with no whizzer and Nd motor will sound better.

The response has a +12dB step at 7kHz which will make for some nice ringing and sibillant voice.
HTB16d92GXXXXXcXXFXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg

Edit: Scottmoose beat me to it and he was more generous. I suppose it might work in a Karlsonator but that large Vas and high Qts would make a bloated box.

Last edited:
Well, in many ways it's a slightly old-fashioned driver, at least in terms of the baseline EM spec. We've largely moved toward drivers with higher levels of damping and a lower volume compliance these days -primarily a result of people wanting smaller boxes, although I suspect the pendulum is swinging back a little (hope so).

Be that as it may. ;) To be honest, I don't like whizzer cones much at the best of times, and I'm certainly not a fan of them on drivers of < 5in, because they really shouldn't be necessary, and the off-axis advantages a smaller unit can have may be lost through the phase shifts & whizzer blanking off sections of the main cone. The same can be said about [so-called] phase plugs for that matter, although usually to a lesser degree. Mostly it's pandering to fashion. Similar to the magnet -the frame looks fairly generic, so it's not getting much advantage from the smaller neo motor in terms of airflow. Probably a bit, so 'every little helps'.

From the data sheet layout, these look to be out of the Guide Sound factory in Taiwan, so they should be built reasonably, whatever reservations I have over the design itself. As far as the sound quality itself goes -YMMV, as always. Acoustics being what it is, what doesn't look great on a 1m on-axis FR may (may ;) ) work / sound better in practice, depending on the context. As far as this one goes, it certainly has some issues. The old 98c tweak with a bit of damping around the base of the whizzer might take out some of the hash around 7KHz, which is probably a reflection. And shifting a few degrees off axis (not too many, or there might be more issues than it resolves given the configuration) may help balance out the top end somewhat. A lot of whizzer-cone units were developed on that assumption, since it does tend to make for a wider practical horizontal / vertical listening arc, at the price of it being a bit hot on axis. I haven't had much to do with Karlson variations, but I suspect that might be of some benefit, albeit the box would no doubt be larger than some other units in this size bracket. Overall, I'm not convinced it's a bargain, and there are a few other 4in units I'd rather have -but I've seen worse.

Last edited:
Yes, Guide Sound was a Taiwan based company, but they have since moved production and most of their offices to China. For your info: About

No, I do not have those units. I don't know if they were ever produced in Taiwan before, but unless that model is a few years old, then I would venture it was never produced here.

Unfortunately, Taiwan is losing a lot of factories to China.

Another case is Tang Band. A successful taiwanese company that has moved its production to China. Taiwan is still holding on the the head office... but for how long?

As a former member of the manufacture's forum who is still active in the business would likely assert - with appropriate QC and design, the provenance of production should almost not matter.

Unfortunately that perfect world is a fairy tale, so YMMV:(

Having said that, a couple of years ago I made a bespoke pair of enclosures for another forum member for a pair of Airborne "wood" ( i.e. reconstituted veneer) coned units. The drivers were quite nicely built, and sounded great - excellent bass. While not capable of the same insane party levels as some of his larger PA systems, I think mr W might still be playing them at more intimate levels- I'm sure I saw some Barry White in his collection, buried behind the JB.

No, I made that last part up.

Or did I, Cal? ;)

Vented Box Calculator

Thank you guys!

Here the results for a vented box enclosure from mh-audio.nl - Vented System

Dia : 9.1 cm Diameter across the speaker cone including half of the cone-suspension
fs : 65.9 Hz Resonant frequency of the driver
Qms : 10.04 Q mechanical - needed to calculate Qts
Qes : 0.714 Q electrical - needed to calculate Qts
Qts : 0.667 Total Q of the driver Calculate Qts
Vas : 10.06 liters Equivalent volume of compliance

Vb : 47.2 liters Desired volume for the enclosure

Calculated inside Dimensions

Width = 36.14 cm
14.23 inches
Height = 58.47 cm
23.02 inches
Depth = 22.33 cm
8.79 inches
Volume Vb =47.2 liters
2880.24 in3

Dp : 2.73 cm
Diameter of port(s)

Port area = 5.85 cm2
0.91 in2
Port length(s) = 0.31 cm
0.12 inches

Is It OK?

This is my 4" enclosure. It's also my 3" all the way up to 12" enclosure. This is where I'd use these drivers. If I don't like the sound I put them in the closet and leave them there.

Otherwise, since you already have these drivers, I'd recommend a small sealed box that suits your desk and add a powered subwoofer. I bet they sound good enough (maybe great) and they certainly look very nice.

Godzilla

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.