Trying to match enclosure to speaker, need advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2016, 04:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to match enclosure to speaker, need advice

I am hoping someone can tell me if the speakers I plan on buying are a good fit to enable the use of a wooden radio cabinet (12.25" x 7.25" x 5.75" inside dimensions) as a portable wireless speaker..

I am thinking to use this bluetooth stereo amp

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluet...492P+50W%2B50W

and two of these speakers side by side to fill the existing 7 1/2 inch wide opening in the cabinet (was for the original oval speaker).

https://www.parts-express.com/founte...river--296-721

The inside area of the enclosure is 0.30 cubic feet. Sure is a lot different than the .02 cubic feet sealed, .05 cubic feet vented specs of the speakers. Is that a bad match? Do I need to fill most of the inside space with wood blocks to reduce the square feet of air space?

The specs for the TDA7492P chip say that using the 20 vdc 3 1/2 amp power supply that I already have, and two 8 ohm speakers, the output will be 26 watts per channel at 10% distortion. Specs: http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/te...CD00211320.pdf

These speakers are rated 25 watts RMS. Is that a match for this amp?

Any problems putting these two 3" speakers side by side, touching each other (I realize there will be no real stereo separation, but that way they will fit in the existing 7" wide opening)?

Instead of trying to in some way seal the enclosure, is it ok to use the existing back plate, a pressed particle board backing that allows air in around the sides? Is that what is called a vented enclosure?

Do I need to do something to the circuit to avoid speaker thump on power on or off?

Would a 6 ohm speaker be a good choice as well? Perhaos I could find an alternate speaker option.

Hide this!Advertise here!