New idea for my W8-1772

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If all goes well, I would be starting another pair of arrays sometime in 2016.

Which means I need to find another duty for my W8. They are in Bob Brines' design at the moment.

I saw the Jordan drivers in another post, and while I looked them up, I notice the DCR build.

I like that idea, and I could recycle my W8 in another room and mount them on a wall.

Would a design similar as the DCR work with the W8?

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/PDFs/Jordan_Eikona_DCR.pdf

Jordan_Eikona_2_DCR_02.jpg

The "single point source" coherence of a GOOD full range driver is what creates the magic.

I find it hard to believe that the Jordan Dual Coupled Reflex (2-driver = 2-point) stack could satisfy a trained ear.

I have the W8-1808 in a 4cuft MLTL, and my early experiments quickly reveiled that the ultra thin cone constructed with ultra sonic-transparent paper requires a deep cabinet with good stuffing to produce crisp audio. A shallow on-the-wall box would not be my choice.

Bob Brines' MLTL design gets positive reviews, and is probably a "keeper".
-------------
A few W8-1772 owners put this driver in a 0.6cuft sealed box volume for 0.7Qtc with F3~120Hz and add a woofer, or two side-side counter-force woofers in a narrow cabinet to match efficiency.

A couple W8-1772 owners carefully remove the whizzer cone(leaving ~0.25" for strength) and add a ribbon tweeter...... some also add woofer(s) for a "high detail" 3-way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.