How do I build 360 speaker for podcasts in a machine shop? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2015, 03:24 AM   #1
vokus is offline vokus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How do I build 360 speaker for podcasts in a machine shop?

I want to build some type of speaker for the machine shop, I walk around constantly and I want to place something in the middle, that is something like a 360 mono speaker.

Any concepts?

Mostly for podcasts, talking, and some music.

Ant concept ideas?

Some type of array?

One big omni?
Old 2nd December 2015, 03:54 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Dodecahedron omni. Use low cost 3in or 4in full range drivers.

Build Your Own Dodecahedron Loudspeaker Pro Sound Training

Click the image to open in full size.

Or 3d print it:

A Dodecahedron Speaker for Desktop Printers
Old 2nd December 2015, 04:30 AM   #3
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

HI Vokus
id rephrase the request for "360 sound" and use terms like speakers for high intelligibility in a big noisy space.
the designer says the OMNI is terrible for speech (besides that thing would barely cut through the background noise of a tiny metal shop )
Quote:
Acoustic theory (and common sense) tells us that critical distance, along with the maximum speech communication distance, will increase as devices with higher directivity are employed
Id go with a stereo version of the 'econowave' mounted up high against a wall / ceiling boundary. econowave is DIY > 2 way 12" PA woofer and CD tweeter. CD = constant directivity
https://www.google.com/search?q=econ...dnBnkQ_AUIBigB

Last edited by infinia; 2nd December 2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:26 AM   #4
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

BIG BIG question: how large is the shop?

If relatively small, the dodecahedron type might actually work, with the caveat that I'd not fit the speakers pointing upwards, as all they will contribute is reverberant sound, what you don't want.

In reverberant rooms there is something called "the critical distance" (translating freely from my Spanish language Don Davis book) beyond which you are in hot water.
Cheer up: your workshop might be small enough for the Omni solution to work

In a large one, a speaker system might be designed so it basically emits a "ring" wavefront, which minimizes roof and floor bounce but that's way beyond what you need, so again, IF a large workshop, the conventional answer is distributed sound, lots of little ceiling speakers, what you see in bus/train stations, shopping centers, etc.
But I *guess* yours is not that large.

FWIW and as a personal anecdote, I did build such a "ring" sound system for the Moscow Circus for their Tour in Argentina, around 1980, and precisely to replace their roof hanging omnidirectional "Golf Ball" system which had been left behind in Russia.
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have also seen these Octasound units in the ceilings at my local supermarket for Muzak. A basic 8in pro woofer and four horn tweeters. You can probably get away with cheap CD/horn combos.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/110222-Octasound-SP800A

For example:

Qtny 4 of CD horns:
Pyle PH44 4" x 4" Horn Mid-Tweeter

Qnty 1 of Buyout 8in pro woofer (95dB):
DL840-4 8" Heavy Duty Treated Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm

2.5k XO:
Dayton Audio XO2W-2.5K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 2,500 Hz
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:54 AM   #6
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

As others have pointed out, true omni might not be what you really want. Omni radiators and reverberant spaces don't really get along.

How about a simple 4 sided tower with four horns on top and 4 12" drivers below on all four faces? The machine shops I am familiar with pretty much need at least this level of spl capability.

I've heard a DIY TL/boffle which was basically a ~6ft tall tower, open on the bottom, with 4 full range drivers per side. The thing sounded great. Some sort of similar 4 sided line array is worth considering - maybe even 8 drivers per side. While it would be omni horizontally, vertical dispersion would be limited.
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:11 AM   #7
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

yeah I'd wanna question the 360 design target 1st.
I think a single point source in the middle really makes it hard, so you must either accept compromises or the design job rises exponentially for good dynamic sound in all places with background noise.
what source to you plan to use , single channel?
do want to hear all kinds of voices clearly or just muzak style sound acceptable Eg grocery store sound.

Last edited by infinia; 2nd December 2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:32 PM   #8
brig001 is offline brig001  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cordless headphones?
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think the multiple HF horns may reduce sound "spray" onto nearby walls as each source is directional rather than omni. But taken together they form 360 deg. It's probably the best way to keep intelligibility up. A point source will at least sound natural rather than multiple speakers at different locations which sounds echoey off the bat.

The Karlsonator has a very wide uniform polar pattern in the horizontal. Make four of them and put them together to form a 360 deg source may prove to be quite satisfying in sound quality as the bass is rich and full with no baffle step loss. The Karlsonator also has a bit of natural reduction in 350Hz to 500Hz that reduces muddiness of vocals for better clarity. I think making qnty 4 of 0.53x Karlsonator with cost effective Dayton PA130-8 (90dB sensitive) and wired series parallel will give 96dB sensitivity from a pseudo point source speaker radial array.

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd December 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Dansk is offline Dansk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Build a speaker facing up- or downwards and a (mathematical) cone pointing towards the speakerunit...

Hide this!Advertise here!