Pics new CNC'd back loaded horn using 4 inch drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't have any dimensions but guessing based on driver bezel width, the length of the TL is about 1 meter. As it is expanding slightly and not tapered down to smaller terminus, the resonance frequency will be a bit higher than the 90Hz quarterwave frequency. So maybe 93Hz extension. If my 1m estimation is totally off than that number is subject to change.

I don't have any dimensions but guessing based on driver bezel width, the length of the TL is about 1 meter. As it is expanding slightly and not tapered down to smaller terminus, the resonance frequency will be a bit higher than the 90Hz quarterwave frequency. So maybe 93Hz extension. If my 1m estimation is totally off than that number is subject to change.
Correct, 1m is spot on. I'll provide some graphs once the drivers are fitted...though I'm away on hols for two weeks from tomorrow. It will need to wait.

Dave, a rippled sweep doesn't necessarily tell the whole story when listening to high efficient, detailed speakers....though clearly to get it smooth is theoretically ideal. Lowther speakers historically, for example, are not smooth/flat, yet people love them for their attributes.

My main goal is to build an attractive and small desktop/standmount speaker, that has better output than a standard ported unit. The horn/TL provides that...and the curved CNC gives it an exotic appeal.

Regards.

Andrew

Back from hols...so keen to get these ready for testing. Bees wax on, terminals on, cable in (braided Cat5).

Attachments

• both stained 1.jpg
    both stained 1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 429
Andrew - aside from my aversion to the stacked lamination method from the point of view of material waste, those are particularly pretty, but to expect much deep bass from the 108 EZ in any compact enclosure is probably a pipe dream
Thanks Chris, I agree re the bass. They're a small speaker designed for quality sound near-field. Having said that, I was enjoying listening to Leonard Cohen's very rich deep voice the other day in the Dublin Live concert. They performed very well.

On wastage, I'm intending to use the remaining CNC'd "outer" material to create a foam or concrete horn to test the method.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.