Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pics new CNC'd back loaded horn using 4 inch drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2016, 11:12 AM   #21
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I don't have any dimensions but guessing based on driver bezel width, the length of the TL is about 1 meter. As it is expanding slightly and not tapered down to smaller terminus, the resonance frequency will be a bit higher than the 90Hz quarterwave frequency. So maybe 93Hz extension. If my 1m estimation is totally off than that number is subject to change.
Old 6th January 2016, 11:44 PM   #22
atilsley is offline atilsley  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I don't have any dimensions but guessing based on driver bezel width, the length of the TL is about 1 meter. As it is expanding slightly and not tapered down to smaller terminus, the resonance frequency will be a bit higher than the 90Hz quarterwave frequency. So maybe 93Hz extension. If my 1m estimation is totally off than that number is subject to change.
Correct, 1m is spot on. I'll provide some graphs once the drivers are fitted...though I'm away on hols for two weeks from tomorrow. It will need to wait.

Dave, a rippled sweep doesn't necessarily tell the whole story when listening to high efficient, detailed speakers....though clearly to get it smooth is theoretically ideal. Lowther speakers historically, for example, are not smooth/flat, yet people love them for their attributes.

My main goal is to build an attractive and small desktop/standmount speaker, that has better output than a standard ported unit. The horn/TL provides that...and the curved CNC gives it an exotic appeal.

Regards.

Andrew
Old 7th January 2016, 12:36 AM   #23
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilsley View Post
a rippled sweep doesn't necessarily tell the whole story when listening to high efficient, detailed speakers....though clearly to get it smooth is theoretically ideal
agreed.

dave
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:26 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Back from hols...so keen to get these ready for testing. Bees wax on, terminals on, cable in (braided Cat5).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg both stained 1.jpg (108.0 KB, 373 views)
Old 24th January 2016, 06:46 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Now playing...very detailed and magic sound stage...the sound is pushed back a meter...the speakers really vanish. Just moderate vol for now. Happy. The stools help with toe-in tweaks...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable 2.jpg (120.5 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg playing single.jpg (84.1 KB, 319 views)
Old 26th January 2016, 09:15 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Andrew - aside from my aversion to the stacked lamination method from the point of view of material waste, those are particularly pretty, but to expect much deep bass from the 108 EZ in any compact enclosure is probably a pipe dream
Old 27th January 2016, 01:58 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Andrew - aside from my aversion to the stacked lamination method from the point of view of material waste, those are particularly pretty, but to expect much deep bass from the 108 EZ in any compact enclosure is probably a pipe dream
Thanks Chris, I agree re the bass. They're a small speaker designed for quality sound near-field. Having said that, I was enjoying listening to Leonard Cohen's very rich deep voice the other day in the Dublin Live concert. They performed very well.

On wastage, I'm intending to use the remaining CNC'd "outer" material to create a foam or concrete horn to test the method.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:43 AM   #28
tommyren is offline tommyren
diyAudio Member

All right, letīs bring this back from the dead
atilsley, almost one year after last post, do you still use these speakers and what is your verdict on them today?

best regards
Tommy

Pics new CNC'd back loaded horn using 4 inch driversHide this!Advertise here!