Bookshelf Design for FE126

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy,
I've got a pair of Fostex FE126 that I would like to put to use in my home office, for near-field listening.

I have a few amps I could use, T-amps, class D, or a 6L6 Clementine once it's done.

I have tried them on open baffles on my desktop for a few weeks, baffles are ~11.5"x18". They sound wonderful, but the low end is very much lacking.

Any pointers on a good design would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Gable

FE126 tends to need all the help it can get as far as bass is concerned - some type of BLH will likely deliver the optimal bang for buck.
In small enough sealed or vented box for bookshelf/desktop use, expect to need to add bass support well above the usual "sub" XO frequencies
And forget about EQ- I think you'll soon discover the driver's excursion limits

I ran it in a Voigt pipe for a while. Not bad, but nothing below around 70Hz. Enough for girl + guitar, not much else.

I've heard them in FH3s and Saburos (sp?). Both were okay, and impressive for a single cone and voicecoil.

My favourite, however, was nearfield use sealed. If you're not after anything above 85dB @1m, you can EQ quite a lot of low end back in. Yes, they're severely excursion limited. However, if you've got them and want to use them, a sealed box that'll fit the driver and look nice on your desk will do nicely.

Chris

If you're prepared to look at other drivers, I can highly recommend the FF85WK for this application - and a small class D or T amp such as Topping TP30 is a great match. I have exactly that set up at home and work, and particularly like the TP30 as the built-in DAC makes for a very simple set-up, has and quite acceptable performance.

I ran it in a Voigt pipe for a while. Not bad, but nothing below around 70Hz. Enough for girl + guitar, not much else.

I've heard them in FH3s and Saburos (sp?). Both were okay, and impressive for a single cone and voicecoil.

My favourite, however, was nearfield use sealed. If you're not after anything above 85dB @1m, you can EQ quite a lot of low end back in. Yes, they're severely excursion limited. However, if you've got them and want to use them, a sealed box that'll fit the driver and look nice on your desk will do nicely.

Chris

I've actually got a pair of Kongo horns that I was using the FE126's in. They're great in those enclosures. The Kongos are much too large for my office.

Maybe a mini/micro fonken w/ FF85WKs ?

image.jpg I built a pair like this with FE126e. They are 12x12" with a 6" front. They sounded ok but could possibly be tweaked to sound better.

And to agree with what was said above they are being replaced with a pair of FF85wk in the Lance cabinet. These work better than the 126. The lance is an easier build but the P10 design is supposed to be slightly better.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.